Citrus fruits

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are loads of citrus fruits, from oranges to clementines and tangerines and quite a few other of these fruits that sometimes get me confused about their names because I don't know the difference between them. Do you appreciate this kind of fruit? What uses do you give them?

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do appreciate citrus fruits. My favorites are grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges, and clementines. Citrus fruits have many beneficial nutrients, such as Vitamin C, fiber, Vitamin A, calcium, potassium, folate, and they also contain antioxidants. I eat most of them just as a fruit, but I also make fresh juice from them. I use limes to make ginger beer and I use lemons when I make homemade preserves. It helps to make the preserves firm and not runny. I also use lemons to make lemonade and limes to make limeade.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I love all citrus fruits. Recently, what I have done with citrus fruit that was new for me was to make a homemade cleanser out of it. You take orange rinds and put them in vinegar. You let it sit for 10 days. Then you strain the vinegar which has now absorbed the scents and cleaning power out of the orange peel. Normally cleaning with vinegar gives off a pungent smell but with the combination of 'zest' scent I did not find it to be pungent at all but rather clean smelling! I think there are a lot more uses for citrus out there that we have yet to learn about, but posts like this will keep the ideas coming.

4. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    While I love eating these kind of fruits, they are also very beneficial for other things. Lemons, for example, can clear up your skin, lighten your hair, aid in digestion, and freshen your breath. They're perfect to add to some water to make it delicious and refreshing. Plus the vitamins they have will hopefully help you stay healthy and the vitamin C will kick that illness you have! Huge fans of citrus, try to include it in your diet when you can!

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, certainly. I love citrus fruits because not only are they rich in Vitamic C (which boosts your immune system and facilitates healing), they're also great alternative cures to mucus problems, flu and cough. They're great for your skin and you can also crush the peels and use them as facial mask. Citrus peels make for an effective exfoliant.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really give them any uses other than the fact that I see them as fruit that I can and will sometimes eat. The names of oranges - the small ones - can get a little confusing though, because there are like four or five names for them, and I can never tell the difference between them. There are tangerines, marinades, clementines, and more that I am certain I am just not mentioning. I will never know why they all have so many names. It is strange to me.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I love them. They're a great snack and go well on salads. I love the tart flavors. I also like making dishes like citrus chicken or citrus seafood marinades. A little zest can perk up a dish in an instant.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love all kinds of fruits. I also love oranges, but sadly, because I have acid reflux, I cannot eat them all the time. I can only get like two slices per day. Aside from eating them as snacks, the skin of citrus fruits can also be used to remove the smell of refrigerators. I also use them to relieve my headache/carsickness. :D

9. florida2015

florida2015Member

Threads:
    There are several fruits I love especially nectarines, navel oranges, golden delicious apples, strawberries, green and red grapes, blackberries, raspberries, cherries, bananas, plums and pineapples. I don't like cooked fruit though, never have. I love to eat fruit raw after leaving it out on my kitchen counter for a couple days to ripen. That makes the fruit sweet and soft. It makes a great snack before lunch or when you are hungry late at night. Fruit sugar can erode the tooth enamel leading to tooth sensitivity and pain so keep that in mind.

10. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a citrus lover myself, I always grab a nice cup of honey and lemon for breakfast to start the day feeling rejuvenated!

I recently tried some Japanese yuzu, and it is absolutely amazing. I would describe the taste as between that of a lime, orange and lemon. It works great either as a drink, in a marmalade or even in a sherbet. Although it's fairly expensive, I definitely recommend any fans of citrus fruits try it at least once!

11. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    If one ever gets symptoms or full-blown scurvies, you better wish you had some Citrus fruits with you or nearby, because scurvy symptoms are similar to those of Ebola - google it.

I like to eat all types of citrus fruits, so long as it is not bitter and too sour. Oranges are the most used citrus fruits I like to consume, whether it be in its most natural state, drinks, in salads, desserts, jelly spread, ice-cream, etc.

12. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I love citrus fruits, but mainly oranges and a bit of lemons and limes. I consume oranges sometimes as a morning or evening snack and can't get enough of the wonderful, juicy taste it gives off. It's got to be an undisputed champion of fruits and one of my sure favorites. Lemons and limes I use primarily for medical, herbal and beverage purposes. I never eat it by itself because it's too sour.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I honestly don't like citrus fruits mixing in with most of my savory dishes and I prefer to keep it pure and separate if I can. I like oranges and lemons, but whenever I taste lime squeezed on my meals I'm kind of turned off by it for some reason. I do like orange chicken at Chinese restaurants but that's about it. What I like to do with my citrus fruits most is to make ice cold juices out of them.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from eating citrus fruits, I use them for cleansing because of their acidity which is really good for bleaching and disinfecting. I also extract their juice to be added to some dish that I am cooking for their citrus flavor and also as a juice to be drunk. I also use its peel to be scent or rubbing agent for my hand. Not only they make my hand fragrant, they also make them soft.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    My dad has the long years habit of drinking a freshly squeezed orange juice, but he managed that my mother does this task for him, so he ends up drinking it sometimes one hour after the juice is made, so I guess it loses a lot of properties like this no?

16. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I appreciate citrus fruits, too. I love all of them, especially oranges. They smell good. They are rich in Vitamin C and fiber. I usually drink lemon tea when I dine and have oranges between meals. They are good snacks for me. With them I feel myself fresh and rejuvenated. I can get depressed without them.

17. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love most fruits, citrus certainly included, they have a lot of vitamins and nutritional qualities and they usually lend a strong flavor as well. I like using the juice and the zest for cooking, but honestly a lot of the time I'm just as likely to just enjoy them raw :).

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Something really interesting that I've learned about citrus fruits is that the white parts that most of us try to remove from the oranges for example are essential to the abortion of vitamin C, so don't try to hard to remove them, leave some. :)