Citrus Peel Fire-lighters

Discussion in Home & Garden started by gata montes • Aug 31, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Apart from being one of my favorite ways of putting discarded citrus peels to good use - as where I live - these are what are commonly used to light fires with over the winter months - I highly recommend - if you haven't already done so - giving them a try if you burn wood fires to keep warm over the winter.

Especially as - using dried citrus peel instead of commercially made fire-lighters - is not only a great way of saving a little extra cash - but there is the added bonus - that as the high oil content of dried citrus peel is highly flammable - they make excellent fire-lighters - which virtually guarantee a roaring fire in next to no time and of course they smell amazingly good too and especially lemon peel - which is what I generally use.

They're also super easy to make - as instead of discarding the peels after eating or juicing citrus fruits - just place the peels on a rack or baking tray - then either dry them in the bottom of the oven or on the windowsill until they've turned brown and in next to no time you'll have a bountiful supply of pleasantly scented very efficient fire-lighters for free - which can be easily stored in a paper bag or as I do - in a bowl or jar with a silica packet to stop them from getting damp.

In fact even if you don't have a wood fire yourself - they're still worth doing - as they make wonderful and very much appreciated gifts for those that do - when packaged in an inexpensive but attractive container.