Classic Movies You Would Reboot

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • May 1, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I know it's kind of "blasphemous" to want to reboot classics, since they are usually almost perfect the way they are to be deemed classics in the first place, but I personally am still curious to see how older movies would be translated in today's era anyway.

Of course, the term "classic" is still fairly subjective, but obviously, there are movies that are considered to be so by the majority, so I'd say those are safe bets to consider classics. That said, of these films that most would consider a classic, I'm wondering which ones you guys would like to see or even which ones you would prefer Hollywood stay away from so as not to risk ruining the memory.

As of now, the classics that were rebooted that have been most memorable to me are Robocop, Total Recall, and Planet of the Apes, and I really liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which gives me much more confidence in modern reboots even though some still turn out to be complete duds.

Personally, I'd love to see 12 Angry Men done in a modern version. First off, it's a black and white movie, so it at least wouldn't feel like it's too modern to reboot like in the case of Robocop or Total Recall. For those who haven't seen it, it's basically a courtroom drama that focuses on the jury - particularly, their deliberation as to whether or not the man being accused should be considered guilty. I find it to be very smart and it was a good study on how logic and rationality works in all of us as human beings. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it, and again, I'd love to see what a good modern director could do with it.

How about you guys, which classic movies would you reboot, and which ones would you like Hollywood to stay away from?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm mostly against reboots but I don't mind if they reboot some of the really old classics. I hope to see western movies getting remade like the Man with No Name trilogy. Magnificent Seven is a good choice for me since they are really old. Don't reboot movies after the 80's as they are still in my opinion perfectly watchable even now.

3. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Although I'm sure they'd make it more gory and violent for the sheer sake of it, I'd love to see a modern update to Tod Browning's Freaks. I doubt seriously you'd be able to cast that movie as authentic as the original, but with the right use of CGI it could work wonderfully. I only fear that they'd either make it a big budget affair, or a "scary" movie.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Possibly the Indiana Jones saga? I love it.

I'm also a James Bond and Star Wars fan, those it won't be necessary to reboot because they are alive and healthy, looking forward to 2015! :)

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to see "A Clockwork Orange" reboot. When I first watched that film I thought it was pretty artistic for its time, I'm sure the kind of imagery that movie portrays isn't that rare nowadays but I would love to see how it's going to be done in the modern times.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    The classic movie I'd reboot is Alfred Hitchcock's "Dial M is for Murder". In this film, a wealthy woman married to an ex-tennis pro gets framed for murder (of course by him) and barely misses the electric chair because of an ex-lover/fling. This movie is an excellent warning for females who marry men without means and those of you who run into old buddies asking for favors. Plus, you get to see Grace Kelly in her heyday.

DIAL_M_FOR_MURDER-01.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    None! The ones they have done so far have all been complete rubbish and it hurts my heart when I hear they are doing more. Leave them alone and try and come up with new ones, it isn't hard, there are thousands of unemployed script writers trying to get their stuff picked up, some of them must be good by the law of averages.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps I would like to see a rebooot of the Christmas classic film "It's a Wonderful Life." The problems faced by society in that period are still true today. The values promoted in that film can be applied by families today. It only needs updated actors and effects so that the newer generations can appreciate the film better.

9. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Oh goodness. I know what you're saying and I agree with your point of some movies having the potential to be remade with a modern twist. Maybe I am too old school but I prefer for the classics to be left alone. Although when I think about it, I wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of The Towering Inferno. I'm a huge fan of Paul Newman and this movie was so cool. Maybe the Steve McQueen film Bullitt could use an update. Oh wait! I would love to see a modern version of Romancing the Stone or Network - especially since most of the mainstream news have come to epitomize the bizarre behavior seen in this movie.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think Network is a very good choice. Anyone who would dare tackle it has a lot to live up to, though, and even though it's a bit too iconic that it might be difficult to mess with, I still believe it can be done with a few minor changes to make a modern version unique, because as good as old movies are, it can be argued that their pacing is usually a bit slow. I haven't watched any of the other movies you mentioned, but I'll be checking them out soon thanks to your suggestion.

11. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    The only movie that I would want to reboot or I would LOVE to watch is The Never Ending Story. When I was a kid, I loved this movie. I would want somebody to create the flying dog out of CGI today. That would be pretty awesome! Kids nowadays would definitely learn from that movie like we all did before.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Wow! Great choice! I would definitely have picked that too had I remembered it so thanks for reminding me. I agree it would be very suited for a reboot and now that I think about it I'm kind of surprised that they haven't done so already considering they have already done so many fairy tale remakes. I just hope that if they do, they don't end up making it too dark and edgy like what they have done with many others. I'm actually now going to be wishing for this until it comes to fruition. :)

13. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Complete blasphemy! Please ban from forum.
    I hate reboots, because most of the time they are made for dollars only, and they end up being horrible.

The Batmans from Chris Nolan were good. In fact, they are even better than the original ones...
    The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles also seems cool.
    I can't suggest something like Clockwork Orange... That's crazy. But maybe The Gremlins? That would be cool!

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't think of any really. Like a few others have said here, too many movies are getting ruined with reboots. The only remakes I can think of that I actually like are ones where I never watched the classics.
    Bedazzled came to mind first but it would be super tricky especially with Raquel Welch. I think they'd have to change a lot but I am thinking it might be cool to see a movie where a person makes a deal with the devil with a modern twist. Nowadays movies like that are horror movies. There isn't too many dark comedies like this that I know of.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The movies I'd want to see rebooted are all those great Disney 2D animations. They might have been good to watch at the time they were made but someone who's used to watching animations with 3D graphics will find such movies less than impressive. The list is long so I'll name just a few:

The Little Mermaid.
    Tarzan.
    The Lion King.

And others . . .

#15Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  16. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    There're theories that ALL stories are 'reboots' of one or ten or twenty ancient tales (the One story? "Who am I?" :cool:)

Like No Country for Old Men was a reboot of Odysseus. The reason most movies keep the names of 'what they are rebooting' is that name-recognition brings in more box-office.

Indiana Jones, the way JJ Abrams did STAR TREK? That would only be good for IJ if they can work some time-travel into that story also.

You might as well 'reboot' the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel!

"Flying Dog" :D:p That's a Luck Dragon! And wouldn't CGI make Fantasia FAKER than the ingenious puppetry of the original?

Nolan's BATMANs were better because he went in with something like 'the whole Bruce Wayne story' in mind (whereas Burton just went in with 'Hey! Remember BATMAN? Yeah, let's do that!") And really, the name BATMAN was just used for box-office pull.

I agree that TMNT needed the reboot (remember the Turtle-costumes/puppets in the original TMNT-movies? :rolleyes:), but Gremlins is fine ... well, MAYBE they could come up with some better reasons for breaking all the 'Mogwai-rules' than "feeding after midnight & getting them wet by accident" ;)

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Interesting concept, and I think I'd like to see this as well. I'm sure that if they somehow made a 3d version of these then it would sell well but I doubt they would ever do it unless if they totally run out of ideas in a decade or two, which I guess is still possible. I'd actually really want to see that though I think many people might be against it.

18. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    This is not a theory. Not every story has the same characters, but every story has the same archetypes.
    Check this out:

398px-heroesjourney.svg.

You can immediately see that this applies to a bunch of movies. Most of them actually.
    There's more to be said about this issue than what's on this JPEG, of course.
    For more, read "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell.

Isn't there a new one being made already?

Agree. But it's also the tone of the movie. The other ones were like cartoons.

I didn't say the needed the reboot. But I saw images of the new movie, and I'm ok with what they did.
    I do remember the original TMNT costumes. They are still awesome as hell!

If they could make gremlins a little grittier, but still funny, it would be awesome.

19. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    First one I thought of was Casablanca. But then again, I don't really like reboots because people tend to be more harsh with their criticisms about them. But I think it would be interesting to see how directors and artists today would portray this classic drama/war film.

20. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    It is was up to me, I would definitely reboot Back To The Future. Just think of the great story-lines and the fact Doc is still around would make a new age version a sensation. The special affects would be amazing as well. The only problem is how up to the task would Michael J. Fox be? I know with his condition, that would cause strenuous and difficult challenges for the old star. In any event, this would be a great remake.