Cleaning TVs and computers

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me cleaning TVs and computers has always been somewhat of a myth. I am guilty of being too lazy and haven't looked further for a solution, but I am doing it right now. So, what do you guys use to clean your computer screens and TVs? Just the regular windows washer or some special product? I am always afraid to damage those surfaces if I use a product too aggressive.

2. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Are we talking just for cleaning the usual dust that builds up over time? Then I'd recommend a plain and simple dusting wipe. Maybe a little polish if you want a good shine, but honestly you could get away with those dry polish wipes that you can find in the home and medicine aisles in stores, if you know what I mean?

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I use some cheap cleaning solution for monitors that can be found in most PC repair shops. But a few times I used a wet cloth (water) and had no issues? And since you mentioned regular windows washer, I can tell you that my mom swears by it, she uses only that for out home TV. Then again, the TV and monitors they have at home are old CRT ones, with glass (?). I'm not sure if using windows washing substances on those fancy LCDs monitors works as well or it's recommended.

4. moorecoby

moorecobyNew Member

Threads:
    my screens arent ever that dirty. it just needs a little dust down thats all. something as simple as a damp cloth can clean those surfaces anyway.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've always been lazy, but I think I have to do that. My TV has the hand of my younger kid there for a few weeks now and even we just notice it at a specific time of the day (LOL) it's annoying even so. I am afraid to put there just any product and ruin it so I guess I am going to a TV or computer store and ask for one of those cleaning solutions, they have to be safe of course.

6. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that you are not supposed to use any spray on today's technology. I try to keep everything wiped clean with a smooth, clean rag. By smooth I mean that it does not have a rough texture prone to scratching. I try to do this a few times a week and my devices usually stay relatively clean. Everything is "relatively clean" when you have a baby in the house!

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that's true! That is why I don't clean them that often, but sometimes not even a smooth rag does the trick because we need some moister there and I think that water or other regular cleaning fluid is not adequate because I am afraid that they are too aggressive. I mean, not the water, but a rag with water is not very effective to remove grease or similar I think.

8. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Best way to clean screens is with a small microfiber towel. There are some towels made specifically to clean screens and they usually have a smoother texture than other microfiber towels and they don't absorb as much water. You can use it try or with a little bit of water.

If you don't have that next best thing is a soft hand towel that you slightly dampen in cool water. Regular hand towels absorb alot of water because that's what they're meant to do so you don't have to wet the whole thing. Just get parts of it damp.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not too worried about cleaning the TV screen my bigger concern is cleaning the computer or PC screen. It really drives me crazy when food and crap get stuck in between the keys and I never know how to really clean it out. I've resorted to turning it over and slap it to get some of it out. Know they have those vaccums just for keyboards and I need to try it to see if it really works.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL Mayvin, come on, don't eat near the laptop, problem solved. How many people do you know that ruined their computers because they eating or drinking while working and they spilled something on the keyboard or the screen? A couple no? It's something I never do as a discipline because the computer is something expensive and I can't afford to replace it.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I clean my TV, Computer and VDU with Methylated spirit. There's always a lot of it [the Methylated spirit] around the house so I use it as a universal cleaning agent. So far I've not had any issues with it but I particularly like using it because it dries up pretty fast. When all I need to do is some dusting I simply use a blower.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use ordinary window cleaner for cleaning my compute screen. As for cleaning the keyboard, I use an old paint brush with soft bristles and blow over it with my hair dryer. I know it sounds all very technical, but it works. :)
    Just a few days ago I took my laptop to a guy who gave it a premium clean on the inside for $25. I am happy that all the circuits are intact and that my machine isn't getting so hot anymore.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Wow, a premium clean on the inside for $25? Why have you done that, do you feel the computer was overheating or what the cause of getting it done? I've cleaned my computer on the inside as well, it's no big deal considering you have a compressor. Just take out everything you can and blow it with the compressor, hardly worth the $25, but I really can't say what that guy did.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    For my television, I use a regular small towel and some type of windows cleaner. It's not time consuming for me to clean my TV. The same for my laptop. I use disinfecting wipes for my laptop but be careful when cleaning your laptop. You don't want the residue from the wipes to seep into your keyboard or speakers. This can cause possible damage. Just a nice light rub across the keyboard should do the trick.

15. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Cleaning TVs and computers is a myth until you see the exterior piled up with dirt and screens smudged with finger prints.

What I do is check out the manufacturer's suggestions. Most of them do have cleaning instructions. The last TV I purchased even had a soft rag for the purpose of wiping down the screen. I mainly use it along with a duster.

A cotton ball with a dab of hydrogen peroxide can make any computer screen sparkle w/o damage.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Wow, I never heard of hydrogen peroxide, where do you buy that? Yeah, seeing the manufacturers instructions is most likely the most wise choice, but I cannot recall where those instructions are, most likely in the garbage. I think that going to a TV store and asking for a product will be enough, I haven't done it yet though.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just use dry cloth to wipe of the dust from the tv and pc, although the I clean the tv last because it always has some grime on the screen when I clean it. As for the keyboard and mouse, I also apply alcohol on it so that it's disinfected from time to time.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I clean the dust too, but that doesn't clean the little hand marks from my kids haha, they just love to point their little fingers in their favorite characters of a show and that always leaves a mark. I've been too lazy to buy some special product because it's not too bad, I guess I need to write it down or else I will continue like this for the rest of my life. :eek:

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually I just wipe the screen with a damp towel to get any finger prints off or any dust that gets on the screen. My problem is the keyboard. I don't seem to be able to get the dust from between the keys.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just use whatever cloth I could find and put some water on it. I just make sure that the cloth is soft enough and if it has an abrasive side I'd use the other one. Also, I make sure that I don't drench it with water so as not to accidentally cause droplets to seep through the cracks of my electronics. I do it pretty straight forward and so far have not incurred any damages.