Cleaning With Ketchup !!!!!!!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by gata montes • Aug 4, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if anyone else has heard of this before - but I have to admit that when someone suggested that I use ketchup on my rather tarnished looking stainless sink in order to bring it back to life - I nearly fell of my chair laughing as I thought they were joking - especially as ketchup stains are known to be notoriously hard to remove.

However - on investigating the theory - I quickly found out they weren't and that ketchup was actually a tried and tested method for cleaning copper POTS AND PANS, stainless steel sinks and silver ware

in fact its even said to remove water stains, dark deposits and tarnish so well - it acts like a magic wand.

I haven't tried it on my sink yet - but when I do - thats if my husband hasn't locked the ketchup away as he threatened to do on me mentioning cleaning the sink with it - I will let you the results.

The latter of which as just given me a thought - instead of using your favorite ketchup for these tasks - any left over ketchup that has just gone past its expiry date or those store brands that you pick up to try out - but don't find palatable enough to eat - could be used instead - especially as it would put them to good use instead of just throwing them out.

Either way - your thoughts - is it something that you already do - if not are going to consider trying it too ?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely an interesting concept. I have some spots on my stainless steel oven doors that I can never get rid of, so if this works I might be willing to give it a try!

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have not heard about this. But I guess it is worth a shot! I have heard about baking soda and vinegar removing stains before. So I tried it on my son's sippy cup but the stains were noy removed lol. Will ketchup work on sippy cups? Lolol. We do have stains on our pots and pans maybe I will try ketchup there first.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is a new one to me too. My favorite pan is stainless steel, and sometimes it can look a bit worse for wear. So I’ll definitely have to give this a shot soon. Lately I tend to cook the most on weekends, so it’ll probably happen then.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used ketchup to clean a brass ornament before and it worked a treat. Apparently the vinegar in the ketchup breaks down the dirt without damaging or scratching the metal. Cheap ketchup works just as well as Heinz by the way so no need to splash out!

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For stainless steel like the sink, what we use is the Ilocano vinegar. I don't know how it is called there but we call it here Sukang Iloko to mean vinegar from the Ilocos region, a province north or Manila. We wet a rag with that vinegar and wipe the dirt or stain. But afterwards, the sink should be washed with soap and water because the vinegar is an acid.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I heard about this only yesterday and was quite taken aback. On the list of unusual but effective cleaning materials were also salt and banana peel. Apparently they are very good. I laughed when I heard you could also use slices of bread to pick up shattered glass from the floor, but I can see it working.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of this, with regard to cleaning silverware, and assumed it was because of the acidity of the ketchup. I hadn't heard of it with regard to cleaning other things, which makes me wonder how it would work on hard water stains. I used up the last of my hard water stain cleaner yesterday, so I might try this later in the bathroom, to see how it works. It should work well on the faucets, but I'm particularly interested to see how it works on the toilets. The plumber actually told me to use chlorine tablets in the toilet tanks, because the water is so hard here, but those tend to get expensive.

9. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    Hm, that's weird. I've never heard of it but considering the amount of vinegar in ketchup, I wouldn't be too surprised. I think it would probably be more cost effective to just buy plain vinegar because ketchup can get a bit expensive. Plus I prefer the smell of vinegar to ketchup so there's that.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The acid from the tomatoes in ketsup maybe what helps to clean the pots. The thought of eating something that can be used to clean tarnished pots does make me not want to eat it, what is it doing to my stomach.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I think you are right there - as from what I understand - it is the acidity of the tomatoes that gives it its cleaning power - especially as - its not only ketchup that works but using any tomato based product - tomato puree, salsa or even pasta sauce will give exactly the same results.

However - although I appreciate knowing that may now have put you off eating tomatoes altogether and not just ketchup - the only reason that ketchup is suggested is - apart from generally being readily available in everyone's homes - it is just the right consistency to work with.

12. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have definitely never heard of this. The first thing that came t my mind is, it is probably the vinegar in the ketchup that is doing the cleaning. I would be wary of staining of the red paste too.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this tip before, so thanks for sharing it! I will definitely try this tip the next time I have leftover ketchup from my meals.

14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Wish I could get some of that vinegar because I have spent several weeks now trying to get my kitchen stainless steel sink clean, and nothing seems to work.

I had heard about using Coca Cola to unclog it, but never heard of ketchup to clean it. Even though, in desperation to get removed those brownish spots it has, I will use ketchup on it this weekend, and will come to report the outcome ;)

15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    As promised past month; I thought to clean the kitchen and found a plastic bottle of ketchup was going bad,

It has not too much left, but yet fermentation was producing gasses that rather to let them make the bottle explode, thought to use this ketchup to spreading into the tarnished looking stainless sink, leaving it overnight.

In the morning, I removed with a sponge and running water and, voila! The brownish sports are now gone.

Thanks a ton @gata montes@gata montes

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    My pleasure MyDigitalpoint and am so pleased to hear that it has worked a treat on your stainless steel sink too.

In fact I'm also feeling pretty chuffed - as its done a wonderful job on my sink too - so much so - that I got a little carried away and decided to use ketchup - much to my husband's dismay - for cleaning all my stainless steel items and am so glad I did - as now not only do I have a stainless sink that looks good as new - but all my stainless steel pots and pans are stain free once again and even the outside of my stainless microwave looks sparkly.

So yes - even though I was a little skeptical at first - I can very definitely recommend using ketchup to clean stainless steel - especially as - its such an easy almost effortless way of cleaning and very inexpensive too.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes Thanks for the tip. I could see myself trying this out. I hadn't heard of it, but I guess it makes sense. It's worth a try.

Oh, those are some good tips too. I never heard them but how interesting. I'll keep the bread and glass in mind. I might just try out the banana peel thing myself, since I have one small banana left and it isn't looking so great, lol.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of using ketchup as a cleaner. I am so grateful for the tip. I much prefer natural and/or homemade cleaning products. I use white vinegar and baking soda for everyday uses, but now I can add ketchup to my list. I have lots of stainless steel pots that could look better.

I wonder is ketchup will work on my shower head. I'm going to give it a try. Ketchup isn't a regular item on my shopping list.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Thanks for the tip of using ketchup for cleaning metals. I've a stainless steel sink that's old and needs to be cleaned of its rust spots. I hope ketchup works to pretty up this old sink. I'll research it a bit before I try ketchup for varnishing. Thanks again for the tip.

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yea, Zyni...that's actually a good idea! Rather than throw away bananas that are no longer good to eat, I might also start using the peel in my cleaning :) It's so funny, but I recently broke a glass and I grabbed two thick slices of bread to mop up all the shard of glass on the floor. It's really a neat trick, because I inspected the bread and it's amazing just how much glass it actually picks up, right down to the teeniest piece!