Clearance Rack Items That Need Repair

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Mar 24, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever found a great deal on a clearance item only to find out that it's marked so low because it needs some sort of repair? I have, and in some cases, I still bought it. If it's a simple repair such as sewing up a straight seam or replacing a button, I'm good. Some shirts even have an extra button attached on the underside, so if it does, it's not a big deal to me.

Have you purchased clearance items that needed repair? Did you repair them yourself? Did you stick them in the closet and never get around to making the repair?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am purchasing an item from the second hand store and it needs a simple repair I will go for it. If it is in a new item and need some repairs I don't think I will purchase it because I just might not get around to the repair job and it will just sit in the draw.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that this happens a lot specially at the end of the sale. They will decrease even more the prices of the items that have a little problem here and there. Still, it is very rare that I find it worth it to buy something that already has problems, like a shirt with a hole on it. I don't think you should buy New clothes that are ready have repair items needed.... Just buy used if that's the case.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy a lot off of clearance areas so I have experienced all treatments of the aftermath. On some I just kept and completely forgot about, and thankfully they were so cheap that I didn't mind that much, while some I did end up repairing myself and some I ended up sending to professionals to alter. The ones I have in the closet I know I can still use in the future so I'm still not counting them as complete wastes just yet, and I do like doing it this way because in the end I still end up saving a lot because paying for alterations isn't that expensive.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've done this before. I've picked up shirts with no buttons or jeans with a dodgy zip. You can still use the fabric for something if you can't fix them anyway, and as this is something I like to do to repurpose clothes anyway it wouldn't be an issue to me if I couldn't fix it. I've also bought shoes that were reduced to a stupid price because they didn't have any laces.I don't see why not having any laces should be a reason they'd be reduced so low when you can pick laces up so cheaply!

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a self proclaimed lover of shopping, and don't mind rifling through rails upon rails of sale items. Quite often I've come across clothing items I really liked but which had faults. Some I've bought, others I've had to abandon because I felt they were not even worth a penny. I decide that based on how much repair work is required. If it's just a bit of stitching, replacing buttons and that sort of thing, then I may consider taking them. However, I draw the line at having to take it to someone to do extensive repair work on, because that just defies the whole idea of getting bargains.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought anything on clearance that needed repair. I would probably never repair it so the money would be wasted. If it was just a button, I might consider it but anything else I would not. I have seen clothes marked down because of a stain but I would not purchase it because you never know if it is going to come out or not.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes find items that have small tears or holes that I can repair myself. If the price is right and the project wont take that long then I will buy it, but if the project is something where I have to whip out my machine then I might let it slide.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Now if it was an item at a garage sale or thrift store I would expect something to be wrong with it. Finding clothing on clearance that needs repair for me isn't worth buying any more. I prefer to walk out the store knowing that I've made a good purchase.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying clearance items if they need slight repair and are such an unbelievable deal. I have in the past found items that were slightly damaged and asked the manager for a discount. They are usually very good about this and will discount the item at least 50% off. I've done this with a wicker basket that was missing a handle. It was just what I was looking for and I was putting it up in a closet out of the way so I didn't mind that it was missing a handle. I have also bought shirts that are missing buttons. I only buy if the button is one that I can match easily or comes with the extra button. IKEA is great for their scratch and dent section. Items have been slightly damaged but in still great condition. You can get deals on furniture there.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy anything that needs some repair. Since I mostly buy used, buying something that needs repairing would mean I'm not getting that good a deal. The only time I would buy something that will need to be "perfected" [for me] is when the clothes available are too big. That's the only time I'll make an exception.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get what you're saying, but I still think it's a good deal if it's a brand new item, with some small thing wrong with it. :)

Replacing a button is well worth it to me to get a brand new shirt at a thrift store price. If it required extensive repair, I'd pass.

It's up to each person to decide what a good value is, of course. If it doesn't feel like a good deal for some people then it's just not.

I tend to think in terms of having more time than money. Sewing on a button takes a couple minutes but allows me to get a new shirt for much less. For me personally, that's a bargain.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will purchase something if it's a great deal, I really like it, and it needs a very simple repair. I don't have a working sewing machine right now, but will make some minor repairs by hand, such as sewing on a button, or repairing a seam with a small opening in it. In the past, I have purchased these items and taken them to a seamstress/tailor, either in a standalone shop or at a dry cleaner. I've also done the same in the past if a leather item or shoe needed a slight repair, and taken the item to a cobbler.

14. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased clearance items in need of repair, but have found that they are usually poor quality, and end up not worth what I paid. Sometimes items are on clearance for a reason, and that reason is that they are damaged beyond repair or have the potential to be so. When I purchase items on clearance, I make sure that they are not damaged first and that they are of decent quality. I do not want to spend money on something that I know I will have to fix before using it.