Clothes and weight loss...

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by yellowbird • Oct 2, 2013.

1. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    I have recently lost/am still losing some weight from pregnancy (and a little from before), about 30 pounds. Does anyone have any money-saving tips on what I can do with these old clothes so they still look flattering on me after I've lost the weight?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a sewing machine? I had some clothes I couldn't bare to part with. Some I altered to fit, others I changed into whole new pieces. I actually love making clothes new again.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes you just can't afford be too attached to something. Try these:

Even if you're not the entrepreneurial type there are a number of Swap and Sell websites that make selling or swapping the stuff you don't need relatively easy. You'd have to do a specific search on Google, depending on where you live to find the site that could best suit your needs should you need to sell off those clothes or swap them for others which might be as good. . .

. . .it would save you some dough.

4. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    My sister just bought some nice belts and use it whenever she wears her pregnancy dress so it will look like it creates a curves on her body. Same thing with some of her shirts.

5. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    That's great! I wish I could stick to my weight loss plan. :p I think you should keep the clothes that fit the best. You should take the other clothes to one of those shops that let you give them your clothes and when they sell them you get the profit and they just get a small percentage. I forgot what they're called, but you don't have to use any of your money. You can take what you make and get some new items, if you'd like something like that. I hope it all works out!

LOVE & DEALS
    DH:cool:

6. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    If you can find a boutique in your area that buys used clothes, go for it! I lost 150 lbs, and that's what I did with lots of my clothes. Since it's consigning, they only pay you usually once they sell the items, but I made almost thirty dollars for maybe five shirts or so. I'd definitely say it's worth it, especially if you have one in your area so that you don't have to use tons of gas money or anything.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There isn't much you can do if the clothes don't fit, it's probably not worth your while having the clothes tailored to fit your new shape (well done by the way).

You can sell your clothes on eBay or elsewhere and use that money to buy a new wardrobe that fits your new body shape. See it as a reward for losing the weight.

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Congrats on the weight loss. Don't get rid of the clothes if they are still in style. I've been pregnant three times, and in the course of pregnancy and delivery, I manage to fluctuate through about 3 sizes, consistently, each time. I'm always glad that I have several options on sizes in my closet for my changing shape.

That said, if I can offer you some personal advice about the whole thing it would be this: if the clothes don't fit, don't wear them. There is no amount of "doctoring up" an mis-sized outfit that is flattering. Elizabeth Taylor said it first, when asked how she remains so beautiful throughout the years. Her simple answer: "I just wear clothes that fit."

And it is true.

A money saving tip is to just buy some cheap transitional pieces for when you need them, and to tuck them away in case you need them again. The transition is exactly that--a transition. It is hopefully short and sweet, but that doesn't mean you have to wake up every day dreading getting dressed because nothing fits right, and therefore nothing makes you feel pretty.

Clothes are a dime a dozen. Whether you buy things on sale in the off season, re-sale at consignment, or find a good friend who has a closet of borrow-ables, I just don't see how anyone can use the excuse "I can't afford clothes that fit."

You can. And you deserve to.

But again, congrats on the weight loss. I know that has to feel good.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it were me, I'd keep it for in case I get pregnant again. If you prefer otherwise, having it altered shouldn't be too expensive, but I'm not sure if it's a service that's easy to find providers for. If not, then just sell them in bulk to another pregnant lady and you can just use the money to buy a few new clothes. :) Congratulations on the baby!

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You must have a lot of storage space if you keep clothes just in case you get pregnant. I could keep my old clothes 'in case' I gain weight but I haven't got the space in my wardrobe and I would rather clear it out. I have taken old clothes to charity shops and I have also sold old clothes on eBay for a little money.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest that you just keep the clothes as it is and don't alter them, because they can be quite handy and useful when you get pregnant again. You won't have to buy larger sized clothing anymore.