Clothes dryer - is it worth it?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Mar 27, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone own a clothes dryer? Do you think it's worth it?

I've bought mine when I had my first kid, we thought it with be fundamental for the babies clothes and we used it somewhat. With our second kid we barely use it and now it just sits there occupying space, so I think it was waste and that it's unnecessary.

What do you think?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own one and I don't plan on buying. I usually dry my clothes on the balcony and that's enough for me, cheaper too! I do agree with you that when a baby comes the clothes in need of washing sky rocket and you need to permanently wash stuff, but with proper management you'll do just fine without a clothes dryer. The winter maybe it's gonna be problematic if clothes pile up but I'd place them near a heat source and be done with :)

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I have a front loading washer and dryer. YES, they are a NEED in my home. Laundry gets done each and every day. Kids go through so much clothes in one day its not funny. A dryer is well worth the money needed to get one.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So your machine is both a washer and a dryer Sweet? How many kids do you have? I have two young kids (3-7) and they change daily and we somehow manage it without the dryer, I imagine that if I had more kids it would be complicated though.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a really good question that I asked myself for a while before investing in a clothes dryer. A couple of years ago I moved to an area where it gets very humid and monsoonal rains last up to three months. Here my clothes never feel really dry unless I put them in the dryer. I used to go to a nearby Laundromat and used their drying machines, but it got too expensive, so I just bought one, and I really love it!

6. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I own one, but I rarely use it. I have drying racks that I use. It saves on energy and cost. Also, if you have an area outside, I would suggest a clothes line. Clothes smell the best when they dry outside. I wouldn't invest in one unless you have to.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    It is necessary around here.

For one thing, I refuse to line dry towels. Sorry. I cannot stand a stiff towel.

And if you have a lot of people doing laundry in one house, yes, it is necessary. Especially in winter. Last year was the first time I hung a clothes line (a little last minute effort at some energy conservation). I liked it and felt good and environmentally conscious using it, but shoot, no more doing laundry on rainy days.

I prefer line-dried sheets. I don't know why but they smell better. And I don't mind line drying a lot of my clothes. But I still use my dryer enough to make it worth it.

8. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I think drying clothes in a dryer makes them feel a lot nicer, honestly. Yeah, it is definitely cheaper to line dry or to hang your clothes up, which is great to save energy. But towels and jeans, for example? They definitely feel stiff and totally uncomfortable if they are hung up to dry. I think a dryer is a good investment that you don't have to over-use. You can still hang dry when you want, but there are still times (like when the weather is bad or you're drying towels), that a dryer comes in handy.

9. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I think it's worth it. Clothes feel stiff if you hang them out to dry.

Also, I am a single guy and the last thing I want to do is iron. I buy wrinkle-free broadcloth dress shirts and hang them right out of the dryer, and nobody is the wiser.

The nearest coin laundry to me offers free drying. I suppose I could just have a washer in the house, then dry everything free at the coin laundry with their electricity. Seems like more trouble than it's worth though.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's exactly what I do, I put mine outside and when it's rainy I just manage inside with the space I have, currently we have no need for it. LOL claire, a stiff towel can un-stiffen when you iron it! ;)

11. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I would be in big trouble without our dryer. I really can't stand hanging clothes out to dry, they get all hard and stiff and they come in smelling bad. I wash clothes for 5 people and probably do 3-5 loads a week, it would take forever to hang them up to dry.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    It's climate dependent. There is no way I could do without one in the winter and most of spring. In the summer I will save money by drying outside, but It's simply not hot and dry enough for it to be a pheasable long term thing. Having said that I sometimes dry things on the radiator. But then again I only use the radiator if it's really cold.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true Hedonologist, if it was always summer no one would need one, but people living in northern Europe for sure that need a dryer. As for me, as I am in the south, there's really not much need because even in the winter we manage to dry our clothes outside.