Clothes: price or quality?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Peninha • May 9, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have the tendency to buy clothes based on the price, but we know that sometimes buying cheap is not equivalent of saving because the products we buy can be damaged earlier. Do you take this in consideration when buying clothes or you just buy the cheapest?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy the cheapest clothes since most times they won't last or the design is somewhat bland. I usually go for a mix of quality and price - both durable and good looking. There's a certain price threshold that once passed you don't pay for the clothes anymore but for the brand name. So I settle for the middle/less known brands and like always, I'm very pleased with my purchases.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep telling my wife that. She insists in buying 10 and 20€ shoes that last two months and I tell her to invest some more that will last longer, but she doesn't hear me. I prefer to give 100€ for some good shoes that last me 3 or 4 years for example than to buy something that doesn't last.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prize quality a lot, but keeping it affordable. I think the best way to shop is to compare quality with the price. It doesn't matter if it's really cheap clothing and is not good quality. You can easily find good quality items on sale for cheap or even cheaper clothes tha have good quality for the price. I love shopping on sale, and I think it's the best way to get the best priceXQuality deal.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The price tells you about the quality most of the time, but personally, I find a balance between the two. I never buy clothes that I think are too expensive, I wouldn't buy a shirt that's worth $600 even if Ambercrombie made it, at the same time, I wouldn't want to buy a similar shirt for $1. As for pants, well I settle for cheaper than usual brands. Branded pants are too expensive.

6. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Quality. There's this notion that quality always comes with a price, yes it is almost always true but I don't think that this is always the case. I believe that there are
    clothes and shops out there that have a good quality but doesn't cost that much. All I need to do is have a keen eye and inspect every detail of the item and be patient and
    meticulous. It sound really tedious but it works.

7. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Eh, I usually just stick with price. I don't really feel the need to have clothes that last me years. Perhaps if I had to dress up very business-like for work, I'd invest in some nice shoes or suits, but since that's not the case, it doesn't matter. My tastes also change a lot, so sometimes it's nice having "disposable" clothing. Also, if one of my shirts becomes stained/ruined/torn, I don't feel as bad having to throw it out if I only spent $5 on it as opposed to $45. :)

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That happens with a lot of women casey, it's the case of my wife. She prefers to have lots of different clothes that she can switch all the time, than have less quantity, but with better quality. I guess it's a matter of taste too like you say.

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy something is a decent quality, and is decently cheap. For instance, my basic tees that I wear almost constantly, I get from Kohl's for about 8 dollars a piece. It's not super cheap, but the shirts are a good quality (I usually stick with Sonoma, though very rarely, Saint Johns Bay) and last for several years. I just bought myself some new tee's, and it's first time I bought new ones in about 2 or 3 years. I also try to get decently prices jeans too. Though, cause I'm an awkward size, I usually have to shop in Wal-Mart for them. I usually have to replace my jeans about once a year, which is annoying. Though because it's so hard to find mu size, I usually only have one pair. I lucked out on jean Bermuda shorts and managed to snag two pairs this year!

I think the only thing that you can spend a bit more money on is coats and jackets. I gave in and spent 54 dollars for a rain coat, but I got it from LL Bean and it's one of those coats that people wear when they hike up mountains and the like, and they last a very long time so it's well worth the money. I also spent about 80 something for my winter coat, and it's a very nice one, with a hood and lined pockets, and I've had it about 4 years or so, and it still looks brand new!

Though I do think people who buy insanely expensive clothes just for the "prestige" of them are morons. Also, buying clothes/etc strictly because it's "Blah Blah" brand is another stupid thing. For basic, everyday clothes, don't spend inordinate amounts of money, since you'll probably just wear it out really quickly and will have probably have to replace it the same time you would cheaper clothes, so yeah.

#9May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes the most pricey item isn't exactly of the best quality. Fashion for example could make the price of something which isn't so good but popular expensive.

For me, when shopping for clothes, the first thing I look at is the quality of the fabric used to make them. Good thing is I buy mostly second hand so the prices are definitely much lower than new ones would cost in some store.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the purpose. Clothes worn to run errands in do not have to be brand name or expensive. Those worn to the office is a slightly different story. Instead of spending top dollar since I'm not a millionaire, I shop the off-price stores for those things that may be out of season or have a slight irregularity. I've found that the t-shirt/uniform store has some things that will last through many washings.

12. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes about clothing, quality is very important to me though it should be affordable too. I dislike buying those cheap clothes with threads still hanging around on the edges. I have most of my clothes for as long as 6 years now and they are still all in good condition.

I believe that it would actually costs us more if we buy something cheaper that doesn't last for long because then later we have to spend some more money to get the same thing or something similar.

13. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    it really just depends on what i am buying at the time. if im buying cheap tank tops for the summer i don't really care i'n probably not even gonna wear them next summer. but if its like a coat or a basic essential what i need in my wardrobe i usually go for quality. but you can find good quality and price if you just do some research, know your brands and materials and you should be fine :)

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's a good distinction really, if we are buying something for the season it doesn't need to have top quality, but shoes for example, what's the point in buying cheap shoes if we just know they are going to last less?

15. love_paradise

love_paradiseNew Member

Threads:
    I constantly buy clothes that suit me as for color and style when the end of season sales comes. I think it is the best way to get things with best price and good quality but it not about being the brand, it is about being endurable. I occasionally spend great money on one dress that is classic in material, color, design and style. Most of all, it suits me very much.

16. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I take them both into consideration. The number one thing that attracts me is usually the price (normally around $10 or less). If I'm happy with the price then I will examine the quality, once the quality test is passed, then I would most likely purchase it. If I feel that I don't need the item though, then I don't purchase it.

17. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I try to balance both price and quality. I also rely on the brands that I have personally tested before. If I have seen them perform in the past and I'm really satisfied, I would tend to keep on coming back to it, even when they are slightly more expensive compared to others. I do not buy things on impulse as well, just because they are cheap.

18. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy clothes and shoes very often so when buying shoes I try to buy quality ones that last me for a long time. As for clothes what I wear is basically T-shirts and sweaters, apart from the jeans, so it's pretty obvious that the quality is more or less equivalent so why should I spend more money things with a brand? Sure, if the quality is superior is worth the price, but if not, no way!

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can easily tell if the clothing is cheap is by how thick the fabric is. So it really would not be a good choice to buy clothes that are of inferior quality, unless you intend to use them as just "house clothes". As for me, I would rather buy clothes that are of mid-range or a bit expensive price wise, because I know that it will last longer than the cheap ones. Although I really have no problem buying cheap ones if I will just gonna wear them at home.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that is an option James, but that option usually costs you. I do the same in what concerns shoes because I want them to last, but as for jeans or t-shirts no way. Sure, I buy something decent with some quality, but giving 50€ for a pair of jeans is something I don't consider when I can buy something of an equivalent quality for less than half than that.