Clothes that don't wrinkle?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by jellybean • Sep 6, 2014.

1. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I hate ironing. I mean, HATE it. I am trying to figure out what types of clothes are less likely to wrinkle, particularly those that would wrinkle less when packed in a suitcase. It would be great to arrive after traveling and not have to pull out the ironing board and iron in a hotel room (that work with varying degrees of success), particularly with dresses, skirts, and my husband's dress shirts.

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Clothes that doesn't require ironing are usually the ones uncomfortable to wear (at least for me) like wool and other fabrics that are made mostly of nylon (as it will melt with ironing). Denims don't require ironing too as long as you fold/hang them properly when in the closet. I find wrinkle-free clothes okay but some are not totally wrinkle-free and I still have to iron it a little.

Maybe you should invest in a good iron steamer. I really have no experience with steam irons. I've been planning to buy one for some time now as I've read somewhere that it's better to steam fabrics than iron it. Ironing (if not done properly) will most likely damage your clothes unlike steaming. You can steam even the most delicate fabrics without the danger of melting it. Though I still doubt if steaming can totally eliminate the need for ironing. :confused:

#2Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband only wants wrinkle free shirts. I do still have to iron them a little bit but its nothing compared to his cotton shirts. I love them! I'm very bad about taking the laundry out of the dryer right away - but this is also a good tip for less ironing. My sister in law loves her steamer and I have recently come into possession of a small one. I have yet to use it but I think it will be much better for some of my more delicate items. On a side note, many people do not like to use wrinkle free products because they use hazardous chemicals in the process of making them. So they are not very green! Where can I insert an embarrassed smiley face on this post...

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up with a mother who adored her iron and ironing board. So, for years, I followed in her footsteps. Then, one day, I had an epiphany. One, clothes that require ironing usually cost more money. Two, I'd rather spend my time doing something else. Ever since, I have focused my attention on cotton blends that can be hung or folded right out of the dryer and do not require ironing. I am so much happier.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i can't iron to save my life, so I always choose clothes with lycra so it will keep its shape and require little if any ironing. Many stores have crease resistant clothes too which needs little maintenance. Ironing is only for shirts which I try not to wear, but even now shirts have lycra so they come out less wrinkled. I have even seen some iron free shirts in the stores, though I have not tried them. They must have a nylon or polyester blend in them, but are an option these days.

6. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Lots of good ideas. For home a steamer would probably work well, but unless it was small I wouldn't be able to travel with it. I do prefer natural fibers (hence the wrinkling), but I will look at some of the options with lycra and some wrinkle-free shirt options for my husband. Or I suppose I could always make him do the ironing...

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think anyone would like to wear a knitted shirt to work so I suppose it's out of question :)

I know from experience that polyester doesn't wrinkle much. So even if you have to do some ironing, you'll only do it once in a while. As someone else mentioned, you could also shop for light denim clothes. Unlike denim proper, they'll need to be ironed occasionally. Good thing though you avoid the frequent ironing that clothing made from other fabric requires.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    A few days ago I ruined one of my favorite blouses from ironing. I don't know what I was thinking but the blouse is not suppose to be iron at all. The second I place the iron on the blouse, it burned a hole through it. My boyfriend told me to throw it away and I refused. I will find a way to fix that ugly hole but I'm not giving up the blouse. I know there are products design to iron clothing but works more like a steamer to where you are not exactly ironing. I think it's one of those As Seen On TV type of products. If I ever get enough money, I will buy one of those.