Clothes you don't need

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Bolt • Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you ever buy clothes you don't need purely because the value is so good?

I am guilty of it at times. I stumbled across a workwear vest, handmade in England with wool, featuring corozo buttons, basically a very high quality garment for a ridiculously low price on sale. I probably wont get much wear out of it but it was too hard to turn down at that price.

Are you an impulsive sale buyer?

2. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    No. Not for myself. :) But I'm guilty of being an impulse sale buyer for food, and for clothing for my children.!

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this before, LOTS of times actually. Sometimes I have got really good deals but most of the time I end up regretting it. I have learned to be a bit more cautious now that I am older. Sometime you really do get what you pay for. Some of the things I bought really cheap were also made really cheap!

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I do this. I either wear the things a couple of times and then decide I don't really want them, and give them to a charity shop or a friend, or I don't wear them at all. In that case, if the tags are still on, I may use them as a gift for someone else. I honestly can't think of one cheap impulse buy that I've actually got a lot of wear from. Maybe I need to kill the habit and save some money.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    In the past I used to buy everything I like but things I never loved. I guess this was an impulse back then when I tended to not even look at the prices. Nowadays I pick something up and look at it for a few seconds to decide if I love it and only if I can't imagine leaving the store without it then I buy it.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, not ever. I don't believe in buying anything I don't need. I'm not young and a fashion follower, so I don't need new things constantly. I have plenty of clothing so I only buy something new as an occasional lift to myself and my wardrobe or to replace something that is worn.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mean to cause a sex war here but I always assumed it was women who bought clothes unnecessarily. I have a wardrobe full of clothes that no longer fit me, but I don't go out and buy clothes that I don't need. Unless you count the football boots I bought and then retired from football the following day!

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not me, I buy what I need when I need it. I was a clothes horse when I was young but now if I can't see it being worn at least 3 times I will leave the item in the store.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I am not one of those impulsive sale buyers. I kind of plan and stick on to my budget, that gives me little room for impulsive buying. This never happens to me when I buy clothes... But I am impulsive when I go to the garden shop or nursery.. i am crazy about plants and could end up spending more than I planned too.. but I do not go over board.

10. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I used to talk myself out of getting what I needed because something else I didn't need was much cheaper, and I ended up regretting it every time. I've stopped doing that for the most part now because I realized that I never wore any of the clothes I bought. I still make some purchases that I end up never wearing, and I'm always tempted with sales, but I've learned to control my impulses.

11. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I can be an impulsive sale buyer for clothes I don't need only if the sale is really, really good and I'm getting a great bargain out of it. This goes for other items, as well, such as food, toiletries, small furniture, or Christmas decorations. I'm also a sucker for sales and discounts exclusive to store card holders, for example, if Old Navy has deals with the use of your card. Lately, I've been successful at curbing my need for such impulsive buying especially after the holidays. :-\

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Kind of. I bought about 9 t-shirts online for Black Friday because they were half the price. My brother thinks it's way too many t-shirts, but they are so cool that they sure will be worth the price in the long run. If I think about it, I won't have to buy t-shirts in years! :p

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do this. I would buy something because it was a great deal. Then it would stay in my closet unworn. Now, if I can't wear it now or find something to add to it so that it makes a complete outfit, I won't buy it.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do this on occasion....it was a form of 'retail therapy' I guess becuase buying/having something new felt good and I'd justify that it was a good deal; but if I don't really want or need it, it isn't much of a deal is it? I'd rather save up and spend a bit more on something I really want.

15. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Have to say yes. So there are plenty of clothes in my wardrobe, but few of them i really like. I am trying to change my habit and not be an impulsive sale buyer.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was young, I used to buy clothes on impulse and be very concerned about looking stylish.
    Now that I'm a mom in my 30's, I'd rather put that money in the bank or use it to buy things my daughter needs.
    I can't imagine impulse buying clothes nowadays. I'm not as vain as I used to be and practicality is more important to me than fashion. I get my fashion fix these days by reading fashion magazines.

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some men are passionate about clothes and like to look good. I know men who spend thousands on clothes they don't need, it's like an addiction. My wardrobe isn't huge, I tend to stick to the staples I know I will wear but it's hard to resist a bargain.

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You would be wrong about that, my friend, haha! My husband is (or at least used to be until I started yelling at him about it) a choronic impulse buyer. He loves to justify his purchases by claiming that it was "on sale" or "a good deal" even if it was something he wouldn't have given any thought to had he not seen it on sale.

19. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    I am guilty of seeing a sale and jumping on 2 or so of the same style only to find out later that it looks terrible on me. I end up not wearing them at all and end up giving them to charity.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes, I do.

Only if it's something I know I will end up wearing, though, or that I can pass on to a friend or relative. I don't just buy them because it's a great value and then let them sit in my closet.