Clothing gifts that don't fit

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by jleadbet • Nov 13, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    When your child gets clothes as a gift, but they're already to small, do you tell the gift giver you're returning it? My daughter got a really cute dress from her Grandma, but it's really too small for her. Since it's Grandma, I think I should keep it and at least have her wear it once.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the Grandma but I would tell her how much you loved the dress but can't believe that your daughter has grown so much recently that it is already too small for her. Ask Grandma if the store happened to have them in a larger size so you can exchange it for one that will fit your daughter. This way your daughter could wera the dress more than just one time. I wouldn't want your daughter to have to wear an uncomfortable dress just to keep Grandma happy but I do understand that in some situations, that might be the best way to go.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree, it would be good to have her wear it at least once. I suggest just having her wear it once while visiting Grandma, since it will probably make her happy seeing her grandchild wear her gift, and since it's only at home, it won't matter too much if the shirt or dress is a little ill-fitting. If you do choose to return or exchange it, I don't see why Grandma should mind, I think she would like it better if the gift were actually going to be used, which it is going to be if you exchange it.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If you know where she got the dress, then you could simply exchange it for a bigger one.

I would just talk to grandma, though. As mentioned above, talking about how big she's grown could ease some of the awkwardness.....and maybe ask about the store so that you might grab a bigger size and that would let her wear it much longer! If that's not an option, then simply letting her wear it once for some pictures would be a good idea.