Clothing That Is Flawed? Discount?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by FlanneryCam • May 13, 2013.

1. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    So today I went shopping at a discount retailer, like TJ MAXX but up here in Canada. I shopped the clearance rack because I'm on a budget. I find a lovely blouse, but it's missing all of its buttons. In the end, I decide to buy it anyway, because I can sew buttons on no problem.

The shirt was already discounted 5$. I was wondering if I should have asked for a further discount because it was missing its buttons, or if the fact that it was on the clearance rack was already a sign that it had been discounted? Do you ask for discounts when you find something wrong with a piece of clothing? Even on the clearance rack?

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    If it's inside a department store or a mall, I no longer ask for discounts especially if they're already marked discounted. They are marked that way because of their flaws. I buy them when I feel like I can still work on them anyway.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would ask for an additional discount for a flawed item on the clearance rack. I would assume that the item was already marked down and placed on the clearance rack because of the flaws. I am always checking the clearance racks for good deals and have also found some really good items that just needed a bit of mending to make them nice again. I have learned to avoid any stains, some of them you just simply cannot get out.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, since this was an actual store and the item was already marked down you probably did the right thing and not asking for a further discount. Now if this had been a swap meet or a yard sale I might of considered trying to get the price down further. There is no harm in doing this then, since these people are trying to get rid of the stuff any way, and since this blouse had no buttons it would certainly be a good point in trying to get the price down further. But this is only in a situation such as a yard sale not a store, even if its dealing in discounted items. I wouldn't even haggle or bargain in a thrift store, because once again its a store, that has already set a price on the item.

5. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I don't know, maybe you could have gotten a little more of a discount on it if you would have asked. Even though 5 dollars is cheap for a blouse, I'm assuming it can't be worn without the buttons. Maybe they didn't realize that all of the button were missing. Many times clerks are busy and they don't really check out all of the damage. Maybe the blouse had just been on the rack for a long time and that's why it was marked down. Even though it sounds like you got a great deal, it doesn't hurt to ask. I've done that before at stores if the item was damaged, but I think it was marked the regular price instead of a clearance price and I've gotten a discount.

6. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    No, I don't think I have ever asked for a discount when I encounter a piece of clothing that is missing a button, broken zipper, or a hole on it. I think that I should have brought it to there attention that they're selling items that are not fully in tact. Perhaps they would have given me or you a store discount. i think I will do that from now on because I don't think that it is fair to purchase an item from a reputable store that is ripped or missing something. Surely, they would work around the price that they are asking for but then again they may not be able to do that because certain rules forbid them. So, just try not to purchase items that has something wrong with it at least that is what I am going to do.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Sure, I will buy them at the price that they are marked because they have already marked it down due to whatever is wrong with it. So you are getting the bargain as log as you can fix the problem and it doesn't cost much for you to do it yourself. Keep hunting for those clearances and you can find some great things for little or nothing.

8. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    It never hurts to ask for a discount, though I wouldn't get upset if the answer was no. Good on you for being so thrifty and sewing on your own buttons! You saved money for yourself, and that shirt from a landfill.

9. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    Well it really depends on the flaws and the discount it already has on it (if it has one). If the price isn't low enough then I might not ask for a further discount, but any garment that isn't perfect deserves some kinds of discount regardless of how big the imperfection is.

10. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I use to ask for a discount on something that was flawed, because it was out of season, but some stores do not care about the Product being flawed. In one of my Favorite stores the blouse was ripped at the seam and I told them that, and I really wanted the blouse but I wasn't paying for a defective product. The Lady asked if I sewed. I said,"no." Seems like they do not care if you purchase it, it is sold as is.

11. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks everyone. You made solid points. I'm happy I didn't ask for a further discount, and I'm in love with the blouse now that I've sewn on new buttons. The buttons are exactly like the ones on the cuff of the blouse and I really think that the piece looks fabulous now. It was a good deal, so I guess I shouldn't worry about getting a "better" deal.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How many buttons were missing? At least you were able to remedy it. Back to your question, if I was shopping in a mall, then I won't ask for a discount anymore, but if I was shopping in a thrift store then I will probably ask for a discount.

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't ask for a discount on a product that is on a clearance sale. It is usually put on such sales just for that reason. They are usable but may need a bit of work to be done. I have had to buy sports wear for my little boy. I picked up a lot of stuff from a sale counter. Some of them were dusty from sitting on the racks. I brought them home and gave them a good wash and they are ready for his summer training camp. I have picked up lovely shirts and skirt with buttons off at half the rate. sometimes it is really worth the buy.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Well you know sometimes when you ask for a discount on clearance items they will give it to you. I remember asking for a deeper discount in one store and they did give it to me, so if not sure, why not go ahead and ask even if the answer is no. That will not hurt you to ask, you never know what might happen.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a few online stores which sell flawed garments. I couldn't believe some of the prices for clothes with holes in, they were not much cheaper than the clothes without flaws. Personally I wouldn't bother buying clothes with faults.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think that $5 for a blouse is a deal, even without any buttons on it. It was probably on clearance at that price because of the missing buttons so asking for more of a discount would have been in very poor taste. If it had been your store and someone came in asking for a discount on an item you were barely going to recoup back what you spent on it, how would you feel? Discount stores are not flea markets.

On the other hand, had there been a rack of blouses and that was the only one in your size and it happened to not have buttons, you could have asked them for another dollar or two off, but when the clothing is already marked down that much the chances of it happening are slim, especially in a chain store.

17. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I actually had a similar situation happen to me when I was in macys.
    I remember they were having one of those 65% off sales and I found a blouse that had a stain that I can wash off but I still asked the cashier if I can have an additional 10% off and they agreed.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, I must be greedy because I would have asked for an additional discount. The worse thing is that they say no. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

19. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I bought a shirt recently from Herbergers that had a small stain on it, someone more then likely spilled there drink on it while trying it on, it looked fairly easy to get out and the shirt looked great on me and was the only one left. I thought it was marked down to 1.99 so was planning on buying it, I found out it was still around 12 dollars so I asked if I could get it for 1.99 like I originally thought it was marked down to and she said that was fine. So I think you may as well ask no matter what cause the worst thing the sales associate can say is no.

20. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't ever asked for a discount on clothing already discounted, especially if it is already super low priced. I like finding stores that sell discounted items.