Coasting

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Denis Hard • Aug 22, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Coasting in neutral gear . . .

There are a number of "experts" who are against it because they think it's risky while another group believes coasting can be a great way to save a little money on gas but only if you live in a relatively flat area.

What do you guys think? Can coasting be a good way to save a little bit of cash?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This is a little tricky to answer - as it would very much depend on the type and age of the vehicle as to whether you could save any cash by doing this.

However as most modern day fuel injected cars - burn fuel when idling in neutral and are fitted with a deceleration fuel cut-off that kicks in when coasting - I think it highly unlikely that anyone would save money on fuel this way.

In fact it may even work out to be more costly - particularly as - because the engine isn't braking the car when the transmission is in neutral - its very likely that the brake pads would need to be replaced more often and very definitely so - if coasting downhill in neutral on regular basis.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You'll lose the savings on coasting in the damage you do to switching gears in an automatic vehicle so often, and that applies to a manual, too. It's not worth it, aside from being dangerous. You're not going to save cash in the long run, and chances are high that you'll get into an accident or hurt your engine anyways. By all means, go for it if you think it's a good idea, but the rest of us know that it's a terrible idea.

4. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    The shifting of gears angle to all of this is the major drawback to coasting. Many people have said this, and the practice is discouraged for mainly that reason.

The good news is, gas prices are projected to keep going down slowly through the coming months. It's already at a $2.35 average where I live and it is still going down.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As one who practices, coasting at times, I think it may well save a bit of gas. I usually only do it if I have to or I really want to save on gas. I have done it for years. I don't think I have damaged my gears or anything else..but then I am not an automotive expert so who really knows?

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had some friends years ago who would do this in the manual transmission vehicles. That was back when gas was really hard to get, and people had to sit in lines for hours just to put a little in their vehicles.

I've never tried it, myself. The roads are flat here, but I don't need to take a chance with my vehicle, because it's iffy enough as it is. Gas prices have come down considerably, although I doubt they will stay there for an extended period of time, especially since some energy companies are laying off. The Houston economy has changed a lot, and isn't quite as dependent on the petrochemical industry these days, but the layoffs are still making life difficult for those who are affected. When I'm low on gas and money, I just don't go out. I try to plan my shopping around saving gas and using the vehicle less, rather than trying something like coasting.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Coasting is great when you don't have anyone following you. However, normally it gets on the nerves of other drivers. Note, in my area, coasting is possible due to mountains. However, I wouldn't actually do it unless the situation was desperate and there was nobody behind me.

As a second thought, coasting could get you in trouble with the law as I'm sure it's not legal. Does anyone know if it is legal in your particular nation?

Finally, I would definitely not advise coasting to save money, as it should only be used for emergency situations.