Coconut Oil

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by felielizab • Jun 16, 2015.

1. felielizab

felielizabMember

Threads:
    Who uses coconut oil and do you think it lives up to all the hype? My personal opinion after using it for the past six months is that YES! It does live up to the hype so far. I basically can't live without this stuff now. I used it on both my daughter's hair and my own as we have crazy thick, curly hair. It seems to tame the frizzies and makes it super shiny. I have also been slathering it on after I get out of the shower and have definitely noticed that my skin has looked healthier and smooth. Another great thing I have noticed is that it has completely cleared up a stubborn patch of eczema that I have had on the back of my neck when nothing else would work! What are some of the ways you use coconut oil?

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You know, I keep reading about it. So many uses for coconut oil and so many benefits. I always have coconut oil on hand for when I make soap but have yet to try it for anything else. I have no idea why I'm so slow to branch out when all I have to do is get my ever present jar of coconut oil out of the cabinet and go for it.:)

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I use it more for my skin, but I’ve also used it on my hair when things feel a bit fried. My most frequent usage is to remove makeup. The extra moisturizing is a wonderful little bonus. Sometimes I’d use it prior to shaving my legs as well, but EOS shaving cream gives me the same effect with less work so I just go for that these days.

4. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I have locs in my hair. I have heard coconut oil is good for locs. It is very nourishing and helpful in keeping your scalp moisturized. I personally love the smell of coconut. Very sweet smell to it. I would recommend using it on your hair after washing your hair because it will keep your hair from looking dry.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I like using coconut oil. I like the soft and creamy texture and I use it on my skin and hair, with great moisturizing results. I also have coconut oil I use on food, as it is quite nourishing internally as well.

6. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    It's been all the rage here in the Philippines and it still is in my opinion since we have loads of coconuts here. They said that coconut oil also has some health benefits and we used to take a tablespoon of it every after meals. I'm not really sure what it did but I find that it's more effective when used as a moisturizer or to tame frizzy or dry hair. I find it does a better job than the regular petroleum jelly so I'm definitely using it more often!

7. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I use it for skin and hair purposes only at this time but want to learn more about it's other forms and usages. I am an independent consultant for a "pampering" company that sells coconut oil that is lightly and naturally based scented in a lemon berry scent. It's heavenly! I use it on dry spots, eczema, and to remove my eye makeup. I also use it sometimes on the split ends on my hair or to tame a stubborn frizz or fly-away.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Coconuts grow in tropical countries like ours. And our culture is replete with uses of coconut. One of which is the coconut oil that has many uses. First and foremost is for the hair. Oiling the scalp prevents dandruff. In the skin, some women use coconut oil but it's the special called virgin coconut oil. It is sold in almost any grocery so it is easy to buy.

9. kitsiks

kitsiksNew Member

Threads:
    I've been using coconut oil for a couple of months now. It has replaced my staple body lotion and like you I love slathering it on after I shower. I also use it to condition my hair every other day and it makes my hair look healthier and shinier than any conditioner I've tried. One other thing I've tried is the double washing my face with coconut oil. I basically use it to cleanse my face first, then wash it out with a mild facial cleanser after. I don't do it everyday but it does make my face feel super clean without the dryness.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This oil is seriously creating a buzz everywhere! I keep putting off getting it, I don't know why! I think I'll have to shake a leg and get it. I'd probably get it mainly for my skin and hair. My question to everyone is, do you use any particular type or brand, or does it not matter? I think I'll buy it from one of the nature stores and see if I can get the organic type.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    Thanks, Sarah! I have tried to look for the Vatika one, but I'm not sure we have it here :( I have used some Indian oils from the Vatika range before and as I've always been happy with them, I thought it'd be nice to find their coconut oil if it exits. oh well, I'll have to look at other brands.

Coming home from work this morning, I went via town and had a look in some store that does a lot of hair stuff, but they didn't carry it. I think next I'll go into some of the nature/health stores and see what they have to offer :)

12. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    If anyone is interested in a lightly scented and easy to dispense version aimed at hair and skin care, I can refer you to my site. I hope it's okay, don't know what affiliate linkage policy is. It's called Posh Life coconut oil and it's a large bottle of it for a good price. It is almost a balm-like consisitency when cool and melts into oil on skin contact or in warmth. I love the light lemon berry scent of it.
    perfectlyposh.com/getposhwithsarah is the link to where you can shop through the catalog for it.

13. Lushlala

Threads:
    Thanks, Sarah :) I'll definitely look that one up. It seems everyday I look at a discussion forum, coconut oil has to feature somewhere! It's seriously creating a buzz, and the rave reviews tell me that it's yielding very good results.

14. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Growing up in New Zealand we used coconut oil all the time because a lot of it is made in the Pacific. I think it is generally very over-hyped. If you use it in place of harsh chemicals and trans-fats I am sure there will be a great benefit. But in the end it is just a plant fat, essentially like any other. Once the novelty wears off the buzz with move on to some other product. I would suggest being careful where you buy it from, especially when it is packaged in plastics that can leech chemicals into the product. Look for glass or food grade plastic.

15. Christina Rivers

Christina RiversNew Member

Threads:
    I have really thick hair too. I use natural coconut oil on my hair, body, and to fry food!

16. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is a great one. I use it for so many different things. It is my absolute favorite eye cream. I mix it with geranium oil for a face lotion. Geranium helps keep the skin firm and prevents breakouts. Coconut oil if not distributed evenly and thinly it will break you out. I put it in my smoothies it helps to loose weight. Anti-inflamatory for headaches or cramps. Heals cuts and abrasions when applied directly. Detoxes the skin and can be used on any part of the body. You can gargle with it. It's very good for your teeth and gums. It's really a great thing to keep around.

17. Lushlala

Threads:
    Wow Adrianna, you really put it to good use! I probably won't gargle with it because just the thought of it leaves me feeling slightly sick LOL But I can't wait to try it on my skin, hair and extremely dry feet. I definitely won't put it on my face as I already have a greasy face. I'm not sure putting oil on my face would help matters :(

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have been hearing about coconut oil for the last few years but never tried it out.

UNTIL NOW!

I just bought my first jar yesterday after seeing it in the store for only a few bucks. I don't know exactly what I'll do with it yet, but I'm hoping it becomes something I love. Everyone else seems to rave about it.

19. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:

20. Lushlala

Threads:
    I'm sure I've read this somewhere, Jessi! I even went so far as to try DHC Deep Cleansing Oil face wash and absolutely loved it. It claimed to contain olive oil, but it was so decadent and lathered up slightly. To me, it didn't seem to be oil in the true sense. I don't know, I might try coconut oil on my face sometime in the future. Just not right now because for some reason, my face has been playing up and breaking out....grrr!!!