Coffee That Keeps Well

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kana_marie • Apr 8, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I'll buy any kind of coffee, regardless of name brand or cost. There is no such thing as too cheap. I am having trouble finding a coffee that can sit all day without getting an oily film on top. I can't stand that! But I drink my coffee so slow that the pot will sit there all day. Any suggestions for a coffee that'll stay good all dog?

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know because I drink more expensive coffee. Maybe if you only make a little at a time? You can keep the filter and coffee grinds in the coffee maker and just add water as needed. Some instant coffee is not so bad either. I would suggest making it fresh as needed, I've never noticed a film on mine, but I drink it quickly and good coffee is one thing I tend to splurge on.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure there's a great deal you can do about this. The oily film occurs because the oils in the coffee separate with extended heat. Apparently it's more noticeable with darker roasted beans too. The only thing I could suggest is just making a half-pot as it seems that the extended time on the warmer is causing this separation.

4. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    What if you keep the coffee off the heat after you took your first cup, and only heat it up when you are ready for another one? I put mine in a big mug and use a lid to keep it warm as I too drink it very slowly. I don't see any film on the coffee then :)

5. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I actually really like that idea! I think I'll try that tomorrow morning. I prefer the more expensive coffee, I just can't really afford it. My budget barely allows for the cheap stuff. As long as it has caffeine in it I'm good. I just drink it too slowly. But I'm definitely going to try out you suggestion tomorrow. Thank you!

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I drink coffee I've never noticed an oily film on the top of mine. Ever! I guess I'm drinking it up before the film can accumulate on the top. Since it seems like it's a "heat" thing, I'll add my advice: in addition to making it fresh as needed, or using a big mug with a lid, maybe put your coffee in a really good thermos. My thermos keeps my coffee hot for hours :).

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can buy a Thermos or thermal carafe and pour the entire pot of coffee in there and drink it at your leisure. If cost is an issue, I've seen thermal carafes and Thermoses for $4 at Goodwill.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never understood this American obsession with coffee makers and keeping coffee warm and reheating it. I can't imagine anything so vile, but got used to people doing it when I lived there. Here in the UK most people use instant because it's good and much fresher than a pot sitting there for hours. You just add hot boiling water and it's a hot fresh cup.

9. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I do the same thing as you. I make a pot of coffee and drink from it all day. I think the difference here is that I put mine in a thermal carafe, and it doesn't get oily on top. By the way, I use great value, folgers, green mountain, 8 o'clock ... whatever is cheapest when I need more.

10. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I think there's an obvious answer that has nothing to do with the brand of coffee. You should start making smaller pots of coffee. It sounds like you're wasting a decent amount of coffee, and making smaller pots will stretch your money (and coffee grounds) even further than normal, which is always desirable.