Cold Weather Driving Up Cost

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by TheViper • Nov 11, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We thought that we would be able to keep our unit off during these last few months. In order to lower the cost of our bill and to just get everything in order. Well, mother nature has another idea and with the temperature being in the 60's and below. That calls for the heat to constantly be on in some fashion. What really runs up my bill is having the unit on through the night because it is so cold that leaving it off for 30 minutes is horrible. Is the cold weather driving your bill sky high?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I don't live in a cold country but we do have typhoons and tropical cyclones so there's a tendency to get cold sans snow. What drives up our utility bills is the extensive use of fans and air conditioners during summer. Maybe you can try using kerosene heater. It's much more cost-efficient and wouldn't cost you your electricity.

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We were thinking of buying some kerosene heaters for our home. Though, they their own risk with them and constantly multiple units might even cost more. We have a good sized house that will require at least four or five units. Now, the temperature is suppose to be dropping even lower and it is getting colder.

4. sethky

sethkyNew Member

Threads:
    Well I know I might sound sort of annoying, but there is probably ways to keep the heat off and save money. It depends on if it's just you and a significant other or if it's a whole family. If it's just you and your S.O why not just bundle up in another layer of cloths? why not long sleeve shirt then a t-shirt on top? Doesn't cost you much for the extra layer of cloths. Why not get small electric space heaters, they can be quiet cheap to run and can radiate some nice amounts of heat. Also if you cook with an over, instead of wasting the heat and leaving it shut, crack the oven door after you're done cooking and let the heat you already paid for flow out and heat the house. If you want more suggestions just ask!