Comfort Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by BradHemphill • Oct 2, 2013.

1. BradHemphill

BradHemphillNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone else experience this phenomenon? It's like comfort food, that takes you back to a certain time with warm feelings of safety and sentimentalism--but a movie. I have a few, and the interesting thing is that they are not necessarily the best movies. I do know, though, that they all came out near a certain age for me about the time my family first got HBO. Maybe there are psychological/emotional aspects to explain why these movies remain so significant to my Psyche. I watch them all at least once a year. Here are a few of the:

The Wrong Guys
    Meatballs
    War Games
    The 'Burbs

Someone give me a diagnosis and also tell me if you have any comfort movies.

2. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I kind of understand what you mean. The movies I like are more of what you might consider girly. :rolleyes: I just really like and watch them every once in a while like how you do with yours. I think it's because of how I felt when I first watched these movies, they made me feel good. I like movies like I Am Sam and The Notebook. It's actually funny because my "comfort movies" aren't even ones I'd normally consider if I haven't seen them already.

LOVE & DEALS
    DH:cool:

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of the early Pixar/Disney movies (you know, when they were actually good) can evoke that feeling of nostalgia and good times. One in particular for me has to be Toy Story because of how great of a story it has and how awesome it was at the time.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I love watching my comfort movies as well. Its kind of that rainy day kinda thing that I love to do where if just get comfortable in my bed and get my yummy food and then I just watch old classics like the notebook or even finding memo,etc.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Comfort movies are very relaxing to watch, I agree with you, but I don't really get nostalgic when I watch them, unless the movie reminds me of something special in real life. But some comfort or feel good movies for me would be Garfield 1 and 2, The Terminal, and any animated film or Disney film.

6. BradHemphill

BradHemphillNew Member

Threads:
    Exactly, Anna. And a lot of mine are also movies I randomly caught on cable on some lazy Saturday and for whatever reason, they stuck. A recent example for me would be "Employee of the Month." Not a great film, but I can go back and back to it. Some old cartoons do it for me as well, like Recess.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I find old comedies to be the most comfy, especially the ones I got to watch during my formative years. Off the top of my head, I remember Old School immediately. I don't think it was very popular in the theaters as the cast weren't as famous then yet, but to me, they were all at their peak in that movie and it warms my heart with nostalgia whenever I remember a scene or hear someone quote a line from there.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I have lots.. my faves are Christmas movies though lol.. does it every time.

9. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have some of those as well. Whenever I want to relax I have a few certain movies that I always put in to watch. Mine would include:

The Harry Potter films
    The Halloweentown Films
    The Little Mermaid

I have a pretty large collection of movies to choose form, but I usually enjoy movies that have some sort of magical connection, I find those to be the most entertaining.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My comfort movie is Office Space. I've seen it a jillion times and know all the lines. I have the DVD but still watch it every time it comes on TV. Bad Santa is another movie I can watch repeatedly. I just find certain comedy movies relaxing to watch during stressful times, because no matter what's going on in my life, these movies never change.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You'll find my comfort movie list rather odd. But there's no accounting for taste, right? So here we go:

The Book Thief — watched it once, liked Hans because he reminded me of all that I'd missed in my childhood. Bitter-sweet feeling it evokes.

Baby's Day Out - crazy I know but there it is.

Legally Blonde

Power Kids - the best foreign movie I've watched.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an entire library of comfort movies. When I am really down and depressed, which thankfully doesn't happen too often, I prefer to watch black and white thrillers and dramas from the 40's. My favorite actress of that era is Bette Davis, and I have every movie that she was ever in.

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps my comfort movie isn't an actual movie but a genre of films, the classic films. When my mother was seriously ill right before her death I spent many an hour watching a channel called Turner Classic Movies. For some reason watching the movies on this channel helped me to feel a little better during this difficult time in my life. I especially liked to watch the classic love stories and musicals. My cable provider no longer gives this channel to their basic subscribers so I no longer have it, but I have found a few antenna channels that offer classic movies, I still find these to be a comfort in difficult times along with classic TV programs.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I understand what you mean, when I need to just get away from it all I like to look at cartoons or animated movies like the Justice Leauge or The Hulk, it is simple and entertainment. Looking at movies like this let me relax and recharge.