Compost!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by YorkshireLass • Sep 13, 2012.

1. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    Making your own compost is a huge money saver, and now I have my own little garden (emphasis on the 'little'!) I have my own compost heap!

I was wondering, does anyone have any rules for how they add to their compost heap? Or how often they turn it? Some people do seem to get a little obsessive over the details! Or have you learnt any lessons the hard way that you wish you'd known before you started?

2. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I've done some compost research but I'm not set up yet. What kind of composting are you doing? That changes things.

Also, what kind of climate do you live in? That matters too.

Do you compost everything in the house? I used to live in a city that composted for us! But sadly, my new town is not compost friendly. So I'm going to have to get started myself.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a small garden, I am guessing that you also have a small compost pile. If so, I would just make sure that you don't add anything non-organic into it and turn it at least once a week.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Compost is the most ancient and natural fertilizer in the world and can be manufactured and used in any garden. If fertilize our plants with the compost we produce ourselves, we will turn with satisfaction fruit and vegetables in flowers and precious herbs . If crushed, mixed and aerated properly the organic materials decompose and becoming a premium fertilizer. The procedure to make our own compost is quite simple. Furthermore, isn't necessary that prepare large quantities. The compost is made from organic material decomposes, from the home and garden. We only have to consider some details. Place compost bins on the ground, not on stone slabs. Protect against the entry of water, moisture and excessive drying. Following these guidelines, and waiting for the time it takes the whole process, we will succeed with our fertilizer. :D

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    How does composting save money? Is it only useful if you have a garden?