Computer memory

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Oakster • Mar 18, 2014.

1. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking about buying some more memory for my computer - I think it's easy to plug in.
    But I'm wondering if there are any deals I should be looking at, I have 4GB now and I'm thinking about getting 8GB; Should I just buy 4 more or get 8 and leave a slot open for further increases later? Would the 8 be much more expensive?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Before you buy memory there are things to consider. First, check the specs on your mother board. Can it handle 8 gig? The answer is probably yes. Can it handle 16 gig? Maybe not. If it can't handle 16 gig, there would be no reason to buy an 8 gig ram card. Many mother boards can accept two ram cards if and only if they are the same. This would mean matching the card you currently have. This doesn't mean exactly the same, but the same speed etc.

Ram is often on sale and sometimes it is actually cheaper to buy a bigger amount than a smaller. If you are unclear whether something will work, take the manual or the spec sheet from your mother board with you when you go to buy memory and get the techies to help you out so you get the right thing.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Actually most modern motherboards are completely fine using different speed ram, they automatically slow down the faster one so that it works at the same speed as the lower one. This of course, will mean that the faster one is not working at 100% speed so it's ideal to have two that are the same speed.

First thing you need to do is to see if you have empty slots or not. Often if you have 4gb you will find that there are 2x 2gb and only two slots.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, 4GB's in my opinion, is more than enough RAM you'll computer will ever need. I have 12GB's of RAM in my laptop and I never seen the RAM usage monitor go up to 100%, even if I'm running multiple applications at once. If you're working on really heavy computing tasks and multiple applications that are running at once, then you'll definitely need a RAM upgrade, but if you're just gaming on your computer or just doing some basic computing then 4GB's is more than enough RAM. Some games don't even use more than 50% of the RAM. Also, don't just buy RAM willy nilly, check its specs, even though its fairly simple to install, you have to take note of the compatibility. There's nothing more annoying than spending money on something that you can't fully utilize. I recommend you check Crucials website, they have a RAM compatibility application there, you can run this application and it will tell you what kind of RAM to buy and how much RAM your computer can handle.

5. SireStryder

SireStryderNew Member

Threads:
    I am not sure what you use your computer for but 8gb is a pretty good size to have since most programs or games don't really need that much anyways. If you want to find some deals check Newegg.com if you have not heard of it. Sometimes there are promotions which have decent memory for a good price.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you'll need more than 8gb, actually I think 8gb might be too much, no matter how much ram you buy it will only make your computer handle things easier if you have a good processor.

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Do you think it would be better to buy a single stick of 8GB to have the option of upgrading down the line or just get another one of 4GB to add to the one I have now?

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    This is what I would do. Just make sure that your board can support more memory modules before buying it.

9. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, you should calculate the difference in the prices you would have to pay in the two scenarios. You should start out by calculating the price of 8 GB stick minus the money you would probably get from selling off your old 8 GB stick. And then compare it with the price of a new 4 GB stick. If the price difference is not too big, I would recommend you to buy the 8 GB stick because it will leave out a slot for upgradation later on.

10. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this 100% 4GB is definitely enough RAM, unless you are a hardcore computer gamer. Most computer cannot handle anything over 4GB of RAM anyway. So before you buy more RAM you need to check your manufactures website, and make sure that your computer can handle it. There is o need to waste your money. Do you due diligence. I have seen plenty of people waste their money on RAM that they could not use.

11. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll be checking out whether my motherboard can handle the 8Gb, I hope it does :)