Computer Roll Call

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Farrah • Jan 19, 2013.

1. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Just wondering what computer you are using. Meaning the brand, like Apple, Gateway, HP, Dell etc. Also please mention how long you have had it, and finally what you rate it on a scale of 1-10. So mine would be like this:

Apple
    4 years

2. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Hi Farrah
    You have another Mac Fan here. I have been using Macs since way back. Like early '90s, and my first was a Classic Two. Wish I still had it, just cause it was such an iconic model. But I did hang on to my I-Mac, the G3 model, blue.
    Currently a Mac G5 Power Mac, desktop. I bought it something like four years back and it was about four years old at the time. So I now have an 'old' computer but it has served me well. Most Mac users seem to love them.
    If I was going to upgrade I would think about the Mini.
    Every one of my own computers has been Mac.
    Grade for mine? I guess a 10.
    Ryder13

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:

You are right about that. I have the MacBook Air, and just love it. I was getting bored, (after a couple years) but had no real reason the replace it. So I went on Amazon and for $14 I bought a pink plastic cover. If even came with a keyboard cover, so it kind of feels like I have a new computer without all the hassle lol.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is a Dell, put together from various parts. The CPU is about ten years old. I've had it for eight years but it was in storage for the last four years until a few months ago. The monitor was bought used a few months ago, and I have no idea how old it is. The keyboard was literally found on the street, haha! It's pretty slow (as one would imagine) but it works, so I give it an 8.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Dell going on a year and a half rate is a 10

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Dell
    2 years

Mine's a netbook, and even though many people say netbooks are crap, I love mine! With some tweaking and especially with CCleaner's help, I managed to get it to work quite fast. I just wish it had some more RAM memory and a better graphics card to support HD videos. Aside from that, I really like it and it works for everything I need it for and it's very portable.

7. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I've had my HP Pavillion for a good 5 years. I'd rate it an 8, but only because I bought it scaled down in the first place, so it was obsolete early. Still, it has held up remarkably well until the last 6 months. Now, every time I turn it on, it acts like an old lady trying to get out of the bath tub.

Generally, you'll want to think about replacing a computer every 4 or 5 years.

8. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Dell as well. I acquired it over a year ago when my previous computer hard drive crashed. I admit right here that its a refurbished computer, because I couldn't afford to buy a brand new one. This is also a notebook computer, which I find far more convenient to work with then a desk top. So, how do I rate this computer, I would give it around a seven. It works well but it has had some issues along the way.

9. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have had my for about two years now and it is a really good computer, I don't have any complaints on it.

HP
    2 years

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I own a Dell computer. I purchased it with my first monthly paid wage about ten-years ago. It was a state of the art computer at the time but now it is ancient. My Dell has lasted well but I really need to replace it this year, it's too slow.

11. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow so far it looks like the Dells are winning so far. I work from home, and I was losing out on a lot of projects because I didn't have a windows computer. I broke down and got one just to work with. I ended up with one of the least expensive computers from Walmart. It was a all in one Gateway for just $328. I ordered online because it was cheaper, (like $70 cheaper). I ordered it Thursday afternoon, and it arrived Friday. That was impressive. So far the computer is working pretty good. No complaints. I hope it stays that way. But I am still a mac lover until the end.

12. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Maybe it is just me (and I won't argue that) but I do seem to get a bit more than four years from my macs, and as I said I buy them used. This one was four when I got it, around four years ago.
    Yes it would not be a bad move to upgrade but at this point I don't really need to, not yet.
    Ryder13

#12Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:

I agree....Macs last. I usually only get a new one because I am bored of the old one and I had it for 6 or 7 years. Still works great. I gave it to my nephew in high school and still runs like a champ.

14. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    HP Compaq Presario
    had it about 5 years
    I would rate it a 6. It over heats a lot.

15. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    I have a MacBook Air 2012. I've had it for 6 months now.

I'd rate it 50 out of 10. :D

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am currently working on a Gateway, I have had a Dell and a Compaq. I would like a Mac because of their ability to work longer without problems. I have had 3 computers to some of my friends that still have their first Mac.

17. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Toshiba
    two years
    I would rate it a 10! It didn't cost me a ton and I love it to pieces, so I see no problems here.

18. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I've got a Toshiba laptop. Going on to 5 years. I would say its about a 7.5 or 8. Speakers arent really all that great and it doesn't do well with too many things running at a time but for the purpose I initially purchased it for (school) it was absolutely perfect. Now its just more for storage - baby pics and videos, recipes, notes, scans of important docs.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've got an HP, 3 years, 7.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the computer. I have computer than are a lot older of 5 years and they still run great.

I'm working on my ThinkPad. It's 7 to 8 years old. I love it. It runs very well and doesn't give me any problems. I would rate it at a 9 only because it tends to overheat.

I have another ThinkPad even older and it still runs well.