Conflicting Advice

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jan 16, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All humans makes mistakes. Nonetheless when you write and post something on personal finance blog, readers make the assumption that blogger has done enough research and what they share is information which can be used by someone to help them spend their money more wisely, save more and so on.

So what happens when you find conflicting information on two money sites? For example one blogger would advice readers to get email alerts from stores when they have offers/sales.

Blogger #2 cautions against such email subscriptions because you may be tempted to buy something you didn't want to buy.

Has anyone come across such something like this? How do you tell which blogger knows his stuff?

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone has conflicting advises -- if it was a standard, then they would be seen as "rules". Conflicting advises may happen because people share suggestions as per what happened to them; thus, their experiences differ and there cannot be a true way to find an objective, always true answer. There might be advices that work in a majority of the cases, but there are always exception. I just heed my mom's advice: "Listen to everything people tell you, then sort out what works best for you."

3. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree, people by design think differently, and are molded by their life experiences. Obviously, some things are a little more cut and dry so to say, but a lot of the blogs are quite subjective. I do think there is a lot you can learn from other peoples experiences, but you just need to discern whether it can fit into your life.

4. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The simplest way to differentiate between two bloggers and their credibility is to check their "reference sources." This means you have to do your due diligence if you want the best advice, but it is worthwhile to do in the end. A person who does not have reference sources are merely implying opinions, and a lot more have unreliable sources that are not logically sound or easily debunked. However, just because one blogger has bad sources, does not mean he/she is wrong, he/she is simply "incorrect" in their evidences and facts to substantiate their perspectives.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem with blogs is that they are not always updated, so things can change ans so the information may be correct at the time of writing. I wrote that as a disclaimer in an article I wrote with links, that they were working at the time of writing and could not guarantee anything.

The important thing to see what the blogger writes about and if they answer comments. People can only advise on what they know, so in any case you should always look for several sources for opinions if not advice.