Considering they're experimental why are those other Lay's chips so expensive?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Esperahol • Aug 15, 2014.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I mean they have mango salsa, ginger and wasabi, cappochino, and like chicken and waffles I think. Now I like most of these flavors, but they can't be popular enough to justify being 4 dollars for a bag of mostly air. Even the little dollar bags are over 2 dollars. How are they getting away with this? Honestly, are they this high everywhere?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes they are! My sister and I were just talking about the higher price of these, and where I live these special flavors are excluded from sales. I think Lays is counting on the novelty factor for these and feel that they can charge more because people are interested and want to try them because some of them are limited edition.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The folks at Lays just want to drive as much hype as possible because there are so many other choices on the market now. Some of these (like

) are almost $2 a bag and they don't advertise like Lay's. From what I've seen, once the campaign is over with the "loser chips" get marked way down or are shipped to the dollar stores.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:

The only place I have seen the new Lay's chips on sale is Walgreens. You can get the big bag for a little over two bucks. However, based on their taste, you should keep your money. I tried the mango salsa as well as chicken and waffles. I give them both two thumbs down.

Sometimes, you just can't transform a popular flavor combo into a chip. Hopefully, if they release another series of new flavors next year, they'll be better.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly correct. The novelty. Combine that with stores selling them 2 for $3 (Walgreens) and you have a recipe for a buy-nanza. Simple sales tactics.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have to add that I tried the wasabi and ginger and am in love. I will happily pay a little more for these chips, and I am not a chip person so that is saying a lot. They are absolutely amazing, somehow Lays was able to capture the ginger flavor in a chip--I'm impressed.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Perhaps it's the retailers themselves that are hiking up the costs, not necessarily Lays. The stores might just be apprehensive of how much of this inventory they could get stuck with if these flop - especially the Cappuccino flavored ones. I mean, aside from a few people that may buy them out of sheer curiosity, I highly doubt they are going to sell out of those. Some of these flavors they selected are disgusting, and it's like they are only doing it for shock value. I believe in Canada they are testing out some Cinnamon Bun flavored chips. Who in the hell wants to eat cinnamon and sugar on a potato? What's next, Cotton Candy flavored chips? Marshmallow Bubble Gum flavored chips?