Controlling acne inexpensively

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by classicnyer • Sep 27, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    A good and relatively inexpensive way to get rid of acne is to use lemon juice and/or Apple cider vinegar. Diluting a capful or two in some hot water and drinking the mixture two or three times a day (add honey if you hate the taste) will help to clear up stress-related acne. Also, you could pour some onto a cotton ball and dab it on your face before you go to sleep.

2. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this. I've been battling acne for years now and I'm almost in my thirties. Do you use this remedy yourself? If so, what has been the most effective method for you? I have some apple cider vinegar lying around so I will try this out, along with some honey.

3. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I never thought of home remedies for acne but that's clever. When I was younger and suffered from acne and oily prone skin I bought the clean and clear facial wash and astringent and lotion. All products together can be bought for under $20 and it's way cheaper than going to visit the dermatologist. It worked for me.

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had too bad of an acne problem before but I must admit that I sometimes experience one of them grow on my nose to the point that it alreadt looks like a freaking tomato. It can really hurt your confidence level especially when you still go to school. The good thing is that once I became 18, the acne marks started to disappear and acne doesn't pop out anymore. I suggest to everyone here to not pop your acne no matter how red or bad it gets because it will only damage your skin and leave a crater on your face.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I must admit that I'm a little bit lazy/distracted when it comes to my skin regimen. I'll completely forget until one day I look at my face and realize I've had a severe breakout, and then I'll start doing both at once (lemon externally because my husband hates the smell of acv, and acv in hot water because I prefer the taste of hot cider to the taste of hot lemon) until it clears up... and then I'll forget again until it comes back. A smarter girl than I would make a habit of it, though.

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    That is very good advice and is relatively simple. Such acne is usually troublesome and in many cases commercial products don't generate the desired effect. I prefer natural recipes, because they offer a low cost alternative that produces no harm to our health. In addition, we all have those ingredients in our house, and they can get us out of an unforeseen situation. There are plenty of solutions like this, but the importance is in knowing how to combine the ingredients and the way in which they are applied on the affected area. Adding some fine sugar, can generate an astringent to clean our skin.

7. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I find lemon juice really helps with blackheads when I apply it topically, definitely more than any product I've purchased. I also make my own apple cider vinegar toner. I have tried to drink it, but the taste is a little strong. But I'm willing to try any inexpensive method to help.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Another quick way to control acne is to apply a cap full of Listerine diluted with a cap full of water on your face. This is very effective if you could do this at night before going to bed. It dries out the acne in the morning.
    I discovered this after trying so many things for my teenage son. Now he has a clear face. He doesn't have to do it every night, just when he starts see his skin look different. Never use Listerine undiluted as it could hurt your skin.
    Hope this helps.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought of using Listerine. That's got a much more pleasant smell than apple cider vinegar, haha! Thanks for that.

10. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    Does the lemon juice help to get rid of blackheads or just prevent them? I know we hear over and over not to squeeze blackheads, but how else do you get them out of your skin once you have them?

11. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice. This is good to know. So many products out there either don't work or don't make your skin feel good. I don't get acne that often now but I still do on occasion. I will have to try this out. I love drinking lemon in my water already, but if I do have a breakout, I'm going to try to apply the lemon directly on my skin.

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    The ridiculous part is that the products that do work are usually the ones that boast of using "all natural ingredients" which is usually code for "you could make this yourself if you wanted to."

13. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    Just get a good moisturizer and cleanser, don't abuse anti-acne products(benzoyl peroxide / salisylic acid) as that will dry out your skin and make matters worse, i would advise to not go around making "homemade miracle creams". Just a good moisturizer and washing your face only 2 times a day, can help a lot with clearing up skin.

14. HDHarper

HDHarperNew Member

Threads:
    An inexpensive way to treat red, swollen eruptions is to dilute 3 Aspirin tablets in warm water. Make them into a paste in the palm of your hand. Pat the paste on the red areas. Let it dry for an hour, then wash it off. The redness and swelling should be significantly less. An overnight method is to take some 1% Hydrocortizone cream and put a large dab on the pimple. Put a bandaid over it to sleep that way overnight. In the morning the redness and swelling will be gone.

15. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. The more things you try to use on your face, the more your body reacts to try to "fix itself." A lot of anti-acne products do the trick, but only because they dry out your skin. So your skin tries to counter it by becoming over-oily, so you use something that's supposed to take care of that. And the cycles goes on and on. You should try a simple cleanser for morning and night time. Try not to use so much make up - and if you have to, make sure you always wash your face at night. Have you ever considered using olive oil or coconut oil for moisturizer? it's great and natural; it takes some getting used to but you need very little to hydrate your skin and it seems to do the trick. If you try it out, you should tell us all how it works for you.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm learning a lot of new and unconventional methods in treating acne, who knew that Listerine and aspirine can also be used to treat it right? I will definitely try doing it one of these days. I used to use Panoxyl Acnegel for my pimples, and it gets dried up fast. I haven't thought of trying other natural cures for acne until now.

17. koelha10

koelha10Member

Threads:
    Another good tip for those looking for a cheap way to deal with acne is to place a clean towel over your pillow case to sleep on at night. Acne can be caused by the bacteria that collects on your pillow case. Also I swear by witch-hazel. You can get it at almost any drug store or even Wal-Mart. It is relatively inexpensive and you use it as a toner after you wash your face. Also a cheap face cleanser is regular rolled-oats (oatmeal). All you have to do is put a small amount in your hand and hold it under warm water in a closed fist to get it to soak a bit and then rub it on your face. It will moisturize and gently exfoliate.

18. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    Apple cider vinegar is a "cure-all" for many conditions, as well as acne. In addition to putting it on your face, drinking a bit of it everyday can add it it's anti acne benefit. And drinking it helps promote allover good health. You can read about it by googling or going to one of my favorite sites, earthclinic.com.

19. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I've heard of this method before and tried it, but it didn't help me. I'm using clearisol which is helping now, but now I'm wondering when I'll stop having to deal with it. I thought after the teen years it would be done.

20. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard people using towels or clean cloths on their pillows. This seems like a good idea because you can sleep for four to eight hours depending on your night. Who knows what's your face ends up sleeping in night after night! I would feel better and would not be surprised if a lot of problems stopped after regularly changing my pillow case or using a clean towel or cloth every night. This is a good tip that will be easy to try out. No one thinks about pillow cases but I bet they get dirty over time.