Convection or halogen heater?

Discussion in Heating started by batgirl • Nov 19, 2014.

1. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    Winter is definitely on its way and I need to get a new electric heater. I have discounted fan heaters as they are noisy and have narrowed it down to a choice between a convection or halogen heater. I live in a studio flat so have a small area to heat. Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer on which would be the most cost effective heater to purchase?

2. Monkey

MonkeyNew Member

Threads:
    I have a halogen heater in my office and the first thing I'd mention is the light - a halogen heater is like having a very large, unshaded lamp in the room. For me it's fine because it's on the other side of my desk, hidden from my view by my monitor, but if you're in a small studio flat you may find it gives you problems. You really don't want to have it pointing at your face because you'll be left with those shape ghosts you get when you've looked directly at a lightbulb.

The other thing to note is that they are not great at heating the air - if you have a small space or you can have them pointing at your feet (like I do) they're pretty good but they don't make much different to the ambient temperature of a larger room.

They are pretty good at heating though and cheap to run. I also like that they don't dry out the air the way a fan heater does.

Now, let's hope somebody comes along with experience of a convection heater to help you make up your mind. :D

3. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    Thank you so much for your reply, that is really helpful information. I hadn't thought about the light factor so that is certainly something to bear in mind. The not drying the air is interesting too as my husband does suffer with his sinuses when the air is too dry.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a fake woodstove I use for heat. It runs on electricity but has a pretty display and can heat an entire room. I prefer that over heaters as can keep you warm in the winter. So far, we have had little cold weather here, but I am sure it is coming. I will get another heater if I have to.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As I have both - my experience of the two is that - although halogen heaters are generally cheaper to buy and great if you want instant directional heat - they're not very good at heating an entire room - whereas a convector heater fitted with a thermostat - is for me, a way more efficient and cost effective means of heating a whole room - particularly as they have the added benefit - unlike halogen heaters - that once turned off the heat lingers for some time afterwards.