Cookbooks?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Jan 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking of buying a cook book to so to learn how to prepare different kinds of food which I've never had in my life and also try other ways to cook food [ways that I haven't tried]. I don't have much faith in fancy recipes but I'd like to give it [the whole cooking thing] a fair shot. If I fail to be a culinary expert then I, would at least have tried.

Can anyone suggest any great cookbooks?

2. wahcashmom

wahcashmomNew Member

Threads:
    You are exactly right! I love to cook, and we all have to start somewhere. So jump right in and enjoy your time learning to make new things and taste new food items you can share with family & friends.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I recommend you visit

and check out the cookbooks on this site. Betty Crocker has been around for years. I grew up cooking food out of them and they are really good.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have that many cookbooks. I think if you want to start learning and experimenting you should look at recipes online first!
    I bought a Dukan cookbook last month, but so far I only asked my mom and grandma to make me stuff and never actually tried to cook myself. Bad I know... but I know it won't turn out as good if I make it!

5. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any favorite cookbooks, but if I look for any good ones, I would just go to Barnes and Noble or Amazon to find one because they both offer good cookbooks. Also, Goodreads also offers variety of cookbooks so you can find the one that suits you best.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know how to cook any dish at all, but instead of buying cookbooks, I will just view cooking videos on Youtube so that I can learn easily, so I suggest that method to you, then when you have learned the basics already, then that's the time that you start buying cookbooks.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I used one for during my days as a culinary student. It has all the basics and advanced cookings for all kinds of food like Western, Italian, Chinese, and etc. so you can probably imagine that the book is pretty thick and heavy. It's a very good book, it's called Practical Cookery by Foskett, Ceserani, and Kinton. The one I bought was the 10th edition and that was 10 years ago.

8. dapapas

dapapasNew Member

Threads:
    I bought my wife a couple years ago "Paula Deans Southern Cooking Bible." I have to say. Every thing that has come out of that thing has been absolutely lovely. I do recommend it. But that only if you don't mind a few extra calories.
    P.S.
    I like my food fried!

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I highly recommend checking for recipes from the internet. There is an amazing selection and quite often people post in the comments section with their own versions of the dish... some real gems to be found in there.

Cook books are also good since you might find a recipe that you'd never look for on your own, but that can also be done on some cooking websites by going through the profile of someone whose recipes you like.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree with crimsonghost747. I think watching online videos nowadays is a lot more practical than just following a cookbook since this way you'd at least get to visually follow the instructions instead of just reading text and having to imagine what that would look like. Whenever I try out new recipes, I just usually peruse Youtube and see which cooks are doing any particular dish the best for me personally and then I just buy the ingredients and set my laptop or tablet nearby in the kitchen and follow the recipe along as I pause in between. If you're still looking for a good cookbook, however, I'd recommend picking up any of Ina Garten's selections because I think her particular brand of fundamentals are the best for any beginner to start with.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Agreed. I don't recommend buying a cookbook at this point. You can find WAY more online and are able to compare suggestions and recommendations on the same recipes or cooking techniques, etc. It's a lot more convenient and efficient.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I really feel that cookbooks have died with the common use of the internet. We live in a world where are opposed to blowing dust off your books, skimming through the index, and finding a recipe you can look it up online. As well as the fact that the style of cookbook would limit the style of cooking you could read about. Not the case online. The door is wide open to all types of cuisines.

13. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have a number of cookbooks, but I never use them anymore. Your post has put donating half of them on my todo list for tomorrow. When I want to make something I look it up on the internet - I get a list of ingredients, several alternative recipes, and even videos to show me how to do it if it requires a special technique. The one nice thing about having cookbooks is being able to browse through the photos to get ideas.