Cooking Cheap Cuts Of Meat

Discussion in Food & Drink started by lizzief79 • Sep 15, 2015.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Meat is becoming increasingly expensive in the UK. I am planning on cooking more with cheaper cuts of meat to reduce my grocery bill. Am I best slow cooking these or are there other ways of cooking cheap cuts that make them tender and tasty? Any ideas?

2. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have learned that there is very little to make cheap cuts of meat better. Sometimes slow cooking can make it dry because it looses all the juice and there is not enough marbled fat in cheap cuts of meat. I don't know about the UK, but in the US there are stores like Costco that you can get good cuts of meat at better prices.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    The cheaper cuts of meat do well in a slow cooker, so pot roasts, stews, chilis are a great choice.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I know what you're talking about for meat prices are sky high in the U.S. too! Aside of slow cooking in crock pots you can add meat tenderizers. Meat tenderizers come in seasoning which became pricey over the years. I like to soak it overnight with Lea & Perrin sauce to make it tender and just before cooking I'd add my lemon pepper or salt and pepper to taste. Marinated beef is becoming a big hit too and it tenderizes meat too. Check online about it and ask in searches to find out more.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use tenderizers, particularly one that I used to get from the stores at Chinatown, but I can't remember the name because I stopped using them when I stopped buying meat for several months due to price tag and tight budget.

I'm actually cooking cheap cuts of meat, but I'm using this time a food processor to convert those cuts into minced/ground meat or shredded meat for easy preparation and variety, mixed with vegetables,

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a slow cooker to make the less expensive pieces of meat more appealing. I like to marinate these pieces of meat also to help give them more flavor. I have found Old Bay to help as an enhancer of flavor also, Old Bay can be used on more than fish.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what kind and cut of meat it is. Some are better slow cooked, some are not. In some cases, pan searing works wonders. It seals in the juices, so you have a nice, tender, piece of meat that isn't dried out.

One method is to heat the pan, very hot. Toss the meat in and cook for a minute. Flip and cook for another minute. Then, turn off the heat and let it stand for several minutes or until desired "done-ness." Google "pan searing" and you'll find lots of great tips.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why not also try organ meats? They are nutritious, delicious when cooked and they aren't expensive. I don't know why most people think organ meats are bad for their health but fact is they are missing out on much.

You could take a look at the article linked to below and learn how you can save a lot of money cooking organ meats:

Certain critical nutrients, such as Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamin B12, and vitamin A, are found in incredibly high doses in organ meats.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Both slow cooking as well as pressure cooking are great ways to prepare cheaper cuts of meat. You can make dishes with cheaper cuts of meat that would cost a lot in a fine dining restaurant, such as Osso Buco or Braciole, stews, ragus, and more. In addition to slow cookers and pressure cookers, you may want to also look into getting a mechanical meat tenderizer, such as the Jaccard, which has a bunch of blades on it which break down the meat fibers. I prefer one of these over using powdered meat tenderizers, which are often incredibly salty.

You can also stretch out your meat by preparing it a little differently, so it will look like you're eating a lot of meat, but in reality you can swap out some of it for vegetables instead. For example, you can take a boneless skinless chicken thigh and pound it out until it's really thin, then grill it - it's great sliced over a salad or in a sandwich with some peppers, onions and cheese, or as part of a stir fry. Or you could take a pork loin and slice it thin, then pound the slices out and bread them and fry them for a Pork Scallopini, served with a simple pan sauce.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Minced beef can often be a cheap option, especially if you pad it out with veg or pulses. Other than that, I do think that the slow-cooker is the best bet for cheaper cuts. Of course, they can go in the oven or on the hob too but I know that a slow cooker uses a lot less power and can be left on overnight and unattended.

11. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    Try cutting meat out of your diet all together. Eggplant, black beans, and mushrooms are all amazing substitutes for meat when you cook them with the proper spices. I've tried substituting them for a mean in the meals I've been making recently, and they taste AMAZING. Try it for yourself!

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will only buy cheaper meat cuts when I am cooking it for a soup or as a stuffing for peppers or something like that. Otherwise, I do prefer peanut little more than getting good quality meat. It Makes all the difference, not only does it taste way better, but it's easier and simpler to cook. I love meat and steaks overall, I am a carnivore, so to me I prefer not having any meat then have a low-quality ones.

13. Bonnie

BonnieNew Member

Threads:
    Less expensive meats can be tough and have a tenancy to be dry. As most have said a slow cooker is a popular way to go. I don’t own a slow cooker so do my low and slow cooking in an enameled cast iron pot or Dutch oven in a very low oven as a braise. Braising meats along with vegetables and other aromatics and liquid can transform a tough cut into tender, melt in your mouth goodness.

I do a lot of braised meats and stews during the fall and winter months. This type of cooking is also a great way to use economical root vegetables and turn them into something really flavorful.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Easier said than done for some of us, but yeah. There is also another option, if you aren't ready to go completely meatless. You can use half the meat and half black beans. This works great with ground beef. The half and half substitution works well for a number of dishes, including soups, stews, tacos, burritos, salads, and more. I haven't tried it with eggplant or mushrooms, but those do both make good meat substitutes in certain dishes.

15. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Cheaper cuts usually do better braised, or slow-cooked for a long period of time. Make sure there is enough liquid in your dish so the meat does not dry up, but you can be surprised how flavourful and tender the meat becomes. The only downside is the time you need. An example is slow-cooked beef cheeks. They are awesome if you give it the time it needs. A faster way to prepare these meats is to use a pressure cooker, though if you are already on a budget, this may not work. Go for cuts with a bit more fat that will render down as you cook it. It also helps in preventing the meat from drying out during cooking!

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Another technique that works well with cheap cuts of beef, such as eye of round or rump roast, is to freeze them then only let them thaw partially (or simply just freeze them to the point that they are semi-frozen) then with a really sharp knife, cut off paper thin slices of the meat, sort of like shaving off pieces. And if possible try to make sure you are cutting against the grain to make them even more tender. These are great in stir fries, and the thin slicing does almost all the work for you with keeping the meat tender.

You can also finely mince the meat with a cleaver on your cutting board. This takes some time, but it produces a nice texture, that's a change of pace from your usual ground beef. I like to use this in chili's or with some egg noodles and butter.