Cooking in bulk to save money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    According to one blogger, you can save a lot of money if you buy your food in bulk. That I agree is doable.

But . . . you can save even more if you cook all the food you buy at once then stash it in a freezer/fridge [whatever] for future consumption. Not only will this save you time but could place some time in your hands for you to use working on your online business, sewing yourself a new suit [whatever pleases you] and in the process save more money.

Care to try it?

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I buy teabags by the thousand. They do a nice offer of 1100 tea bags for £9.99. Seeing as I use about 6 bags per day this means I only have to buy a sack every 6 months or so, and it certainly saves me quite a bit compared to what I would pay if i bought them in bags of 80.

3. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I do this with soups and stews. I mean, why make a small pot when you can make enough for the month? I freeze it in portions for two and thaw it out, as needed.

I've heard that cooking one day a week, in bulk, is a good idea for dieters because all your food for the week is cooked and your menu is planned out for the whole week. I haven't tried that, though.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy the ingredients in bulk but cook in small batches. Like I just wrote in another thread, regarding vegetables, I cut them in pieces and mix them then place them in the fridge. This way I have vegetables for my dishes at hand all the time, already cut. I do the same with meat if I find it on sale, buy in bulk, cut it in pieces, then freeze. Not only it's cheaper but I always have the ingredients ready when I want to start cooking.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Cooking certain foods in bulk can work well if the food freezes well. Spaghetti sauces do a good job of this. The key is to make the foods in bulk and freeze in portion sizes that will do for one meal. Storing extra food in the fridge is fine if it is one extra meal, but I don't want to feel that I need to eat the leftovers for several days in a row.

One thing I like to do when cooking up chicken breasts is to cook one or two extras. I can then dice up the chicken and use it on a salad or in a sandwich. This would work for many meats. In addition, I always prep my veggies when I buy them so that they are ready to go when needed and it helps me make them a quick snack as I can just grab them as needed.

6. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I love to buying in bulks cause I have a large family of 7, I save money when I buy like this and I like to cook my dinner depending on what im cooking I like to freeze my foods for dinner thru out the week.

7. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    Well, this COULD work but if you really care about taste of your food, I wouldn't follow that person's recommendation. Plus, some foods are practically impossible to store. For example, look at pasta or any dish with noodles. You have to eat them right after cooking it or else the noodles become super soggy or hard. You just can't store cooked noodles. This won't work for all foods so you'd need to choose your dishes carefully before adopting.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are feeding a family, it may make more sense to buy in bulk, but if you are only cooking for yourself, often times that can backfire on you. Those larger size items they sell at places like Costco and Sams Club are difficult for one person to go through in time before they expire (unless you really love that particular item). When I tried to buy cheeses and lunch meats in bulk, for example, the lunch meat went bad and became all slimy before I could finish it and the cheese became moldy for the same reason. These types of items don't hold up well to freezing either. Even the larger containers of stuff like Mayo and Salsa start to look pretty bad if you don't finish them up in a reasonable amount of time. I also bought some of those bulk size containers of several spices and spice blends - then wound up throwing most of them out before I used them all up, because they had been sitting on my shelves for over a year and I barely used any of them all up.

As for cooking in bulk, I actually enjoy cooking - it relaxes me. So I don't often find myself wanting to cook things in advance only to reheat them on another day. I'm never in that big of a hurry that I can't make myself something to eat. I could be in and out of the kitchen in like 15 minutes with a full dinner if I was really in that much of a hurry. Most of the time if I am making anything in bulk, it would be something like a stock - in which case I only have enough scraps to make it like once a week, so I do it all at once then freeze the rest (well sometimes I freeze it, other times I end up using it all over the next few days so I just keep it all in the fridge).