Cooking with gas or electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by JulianWilliams • Jan 16, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    Which one is cheaper? Cooking with gas or cooking with electricity? Electric cookers or ovens seem to be significantly more expensive than gas ones, so there's that to take into consideration, but I'm more worried about the long term costs rather than the upfront costs.

2. Mika

MikaMember

Threads:
    Gas is typically cheaper to run.

However, the down sides of gas ovens are:
    -The gases produced aren't exactly healthy to breathe in => it is possible to kill small animals.
    -It could potentially blow up your house.
    -Potential monthly fee for signing up.
    -Gas ovens don't seem to cook as evenly. Although stove tops seem to cook better.

After researching (Credit to Michael Bluejay):
    Gas at $1.25/therm compared to Electric at $0.12/kWh for 30 min/day 7 days/week would be

Gas:
    Pilot light model: $79/year
    Electric ignitor model: $45/year

Electric:
    Standard: $83/year
    Convection: $69/year
    Induction stovetop convection: $58

Both ovens seem to last 10-15 years.

I'm not sure how much each oven costs, but I would suggest factoring in for the time span and base price, not just the long term costs.
    (Price Difference / 13 [years] => Compare to savings)

I use both regularly, and ignoring costs, I prefer using the electric oven due to baking consistency.

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    As Mika mentioned above, gas is cheaper than electricity but there are downsides to using it. That's why we use a hybrid that allows us to use both electricity and gas. The good thing about this is that whenever there are blackouts, we can use gas to cook our food. The costs of using electricity and gas are usually near to each other so we don't have any problems about the cost.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    We use electricity for cooking. Our neighbor uses gas for cooking and almost every week someone would knock at their door to inspect their connection, aside from the weekly meeting concerning gas precautions. Our stove is designed to automatically shut off in about 1 hour in case you forgot to turn it off after using. This is really a big relief for me since my husband is sometimes forgetful.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that we have a gas/electric stove and always have. Maybe there is a little more cost to get one and maintain one, but there are some advantages. I remember some years ago on Thanksgiving Day of all days the power went out in the morning. Fortunately my sister who was cooking the dinner already had the stove on, and because it was a gas stove with an electric ignition the outage didn't affect the stove one bit. My sister was able to continue cooking the meal. It was then that I saw the advantages to always have a gas/electric stove.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like a gav stovetop and an electric oven. I like the control you get over a gas hob, but prefer the way electric fan ovens work - they cook much more evenly than a gas oven.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it just depends on what is more expensive in your area. Here, electricity is very costly so it's best to stick to gas for cooking. The only downside is that gas lines aren't universal here so we have to buy tanks regularly which could prove to be costly in terms of pick up or delivery fees but all in all it still turns out to be a cheaper alternative.