Cosmetic commercials. Which products have you tried? (Including Shampoos and hair care)

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by BestCrispAir • Apr 22, 2012.

1. BestCrispAir

BestCrispAirNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, the infomercials get me sucked in, and I start thinking "Wow! I really want that product."
    I have tried Bare Minerals, I like their product a lot, but I did not buy it via the commercial. I have also bought the Shake Weight. Like it a lot, still use it.
    I have bought the Ahh Bra, the Genie Bra. (Really wasted my money on both of those)
    The Neck Genie. (Total waste of money)
    I am sure that there are several others, but I cannot think of them right now.
    I want to try that soap free shampoo, but I cannot justify spending that much money on a hair care product right now.

2. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I bought the Bare Minerals line of cosmetics. I spent a lot of money on it, and ended up having to give it away. My skin broke out more with their cosmetics than with using the regular retail store brands like Cover Girl. My stylist told me that Bare Minerals is actually worse for your skin, and people who have sensitive skin like me have been having a lot of problems. I do know people who use it and love it. My skin was just too sensitive for it.

3. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    Brittney, I had the exact same problem. I used it for a few days and really liked it, and then my skin started reacting to it or something. I started noticing a lot more break outs and just had to go back to the liquid foundation. My skin has kind of normalized since I did that, so I think it was definitely something to do with the Bare Minerals makeup I was using.

I love the idea of that makeup, but it just won't work for me.

4. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    I bought Bare Minerals several years ago and have been using it ever since. I am curious about Shear Cover and might give that a try some time. I like the Bare Minerals because it is so fast and easy to apply. It really does last for a long time too.

5. jose

joseMember

Threads:
    then you need to try quality cosmetics, i know they will cost you extra but quality matters.

6. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have tried Wen Hair System. Me personally I didn't like it. I loved the fact that it didn't foam up, but with my hair being very thick, it took a lot for me to use it. My step mom loves it though. She has natural hair and she said it is easy for her to manage, but with me, having relaxed hair, I felt it made my hair feel dry. It smelled wonderful, but me personally I didn't like it. So I guess it could be based on your hair type, even though they say they work for all hair types. I also tried the Salon Express! THAT WAS A HUGE WASTE OF Money, but I did see a lot of people say it worked, but then others were like me, said it didn't work.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time I purchased an item based on the influence of a commercial/advert. I don't buy cosmetic products now as my philosophy has changed, I now follow the natural way wand try to avoid artificial chemicals when possible. I think these cosmetics are ultimately unnecessary and cause more harm than good.

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:

I really appreciated this thread. The Genie bra and the Ahh bra almost got me. They really make the commercial look so good. you aren't the first bad review I have seen so looks like I am going to stay away from this one. If you are wondering about the soap free shampoo, if its WEN I have heard its a hit or miss for people depending on their hair type. I recently saw that they sell a version that is just like it at Walgreens, called REN for 9.99. If that works for you so will the expensive version.

9. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have also tried Bare Minerals. Good product a bit on the pricey side though. The good thing is there have been other make up products that have been created along the same lines that were more economical Avon actually came out with a similar line of make up that was cheaper and I used it for awhile. This make up turned out to be just a good as Bare Minerals was.

10. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can proudly say i never brought anything from tv the one thing i am going to get is the light up pillow pets but i'm getting them at walmart.

11. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I also ordered bare mineral but it made my skin itchy. Accordingly my dermatologist told me its not good for sensitive skin. Just because something is natural it does not mean it is non-allergenic. Also since my skin type is dry, mineral makeup just is not suited for me. My dermatologist says that mineral cosmetics are best for those with oily to combination skin.

12. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    I relay mainly on the established products. As ponds or something like these. I strongly refuse to use those products who just appears for minutes and no one knows it.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried Proactiv because I was sent it from a survey. You're basically poisoning your face. Thank god I never payed for it and got money for using it but I just couldn't take it as long as the survey wanted me to. I asked the survey company though if it was okay for me to stop and they were fine with it. My face was so red and dry. It took like a week for it to get back to normal.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It wasn't an infomercial, but I bought the Biore pore strips based on the commercials with the girls being grossed out by the contents of their pores.
    I didn't find them as effective as the commercials claim them to be. The pores on my nose still looked dirty, so Biore strips aren't the best blackhead remover.

15. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I wanted to try the Wen Hair products, but I thought they were too expensive for my pocketbook. I will have to go look at Walgreens for the Ren products. I have thought about the Genie Bras, but I am so heavy-chested. I need a lot of support, and I didn't think the bras looked sturdy enough for my size. Glad I never caved in and bought them.

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Those Wen products have sucked me in too, the commercials look so inviting yet I still haven't bought any yet because I'm still not completely sold on the idea of a "no lather" shampoo that really get can get your hair clean. Although they're right about traditional shampoo drying your hair out and seemingly stripping it of natural oils.

17. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    oh wow, sorry to hear you had to go through that. I used proactive as well and didn't have that reaction. I think everyone has different reactions to products.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The overwhelming majority of these products from the commercials are terrible and not worth the money. They're not scams per se, but you might think so if you read all the complaints about the parent companies. ProActiv actually works for a lot of people, but thinks like the Genie Bra and Shake Weight are absolute rubbish. Science has proven the Shake Weight to be rubbish. I stay away from these products and focus upon what other people have said about them so that I can avoid making the same mistake.

19. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    One product I tried is Bare Minerals and I was very happy with this makeup. After seeing the commercial for Bare Minerals for the first time I had to try it out so I saved some money and then when I was ready I bought it. I never had any problems with the Bare Minerals makeup and I would definitely buy this again in the future. Right now I'm all out of Bare Minerals so I really need to purchase more soon. I don't buy a lot of stuff that is advertised on television but if something catches my eye then I'll learn more about it before buying the product.

20. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually watch the infomercials, and even most of the things on the regular commercials are things I don't need.
    I do belong to a website called BzzAgent, and they send you out new products to try. I really enjoy trying the items they send me.
    You fill out a profile, so they know what things that you might be interested in trying out; and then they invite you to test any product they think fits your profile.
    Of course, if you are not interested in that product, then you don't have to try it. But it is free, and it is fun, and you get to try some great products ! !