Costco and Cross-Border shopping.

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sandees • Aug 16, 2012.

1. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    As a Canadian, I find it interesting that Americans are requesting "American shopping hours only" since too many British Columbians are shopping in their Washington State Costco (I think it's Washington State). Claiming Canadians buy too much milk and take up too much parking. I read somewhere one resident said "the parking lot felt like Canada".

Canadians will always go cross-border shopping. Aside from the traffic and crowds, is it really such a nuisance? Isn't a buying public (whether American or Canadian) good for overall economy?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I heard a little bit about this but wasn't too sure what the problem was. Yes, it is Washington State that this story was about but I am still a little bit confused as to why this is a problem. All Costco stores are extremely crowded. It really doesn't matter where the cars came from!

3. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen this problem, but it is between different states here. I know in Michigan some people will go to Indiana to shop for items because the price is lower on the items and taxes are cheaper. The people from Indiana complain about this all the time, but it is the same thing, the prices are cheaper and in this economy we all have to save money!

4. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't understand the big fuss. Cross-border shopping brings revenue into American towns. In this economy, I have no idea why people would be complaining about Canadians helping out the American economy?

Besides, prices are so much cheaper in the USA.

I also read in that article that the Canadians were littering and being aggressive drivers in the parking lot at Costco. That is a completely different matter than crowded shopping centers. Besides, when is Costco not crowded? ;)

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I'm American and actually side with this poster. Honestly all Costco parking lots are a mad house and over crowded whether it be a bordering state or not. If people have an issue with Canadians coming screw them. They just need to learn to shop smart and go early. Thats the best time to go to Costco no matter where you are. Get there 10 minute before opening to have a decent shopping experience, otherwise you will have to deal with the crowds regardless.

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I read something about this and it seems so stupid. Who cares if they travel across the border to shop? It is a better deal for them and a boost to the U.S. economy if a few extra million bucks a year come in. It is a win-win.

7. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    My friend told me that the actual problem is that the Canadians who do cross the border, and shop at Costco are buying things in bulk.. like cartons of milk, fruit, etc. I can see how that could pose a problem ANYWHERE! But I also wonder if this is true because I don't see the border agents casually re-admitting these Canadians with such large amounts of (for example) milk.

I've gone to Buffalo a few times for Black Fridays, and the people at the Outlets are happy we're there, partaking in the craziness of Midnight Madness. :)