Costly Fashion Myths

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jul 20, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you try to have all you accessories and clothes match because that's how it supposed to be? Attempting to dress thusly would mean that each time you buy new clothes you'd have to also buy matching accessories [which will cost you a lot] if you don't already have them.

Any other fashion myths which should be ignored?

2. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I ignore the myth that price=quality.
    Oh sure for the most part spending more will get you a better product.
    But that only goes so far, the quality difference between a 200 handbag and a 2000 handbag is negligible!
    Once you get to a certain point, the extra money spent itself is the fashion statement. You are paying to be part of an exclusive club of suckers.

3. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same way. I don't think that you have to spend a bunch of money in order to have good clothing. There are so many stores out there where you can get good priced clothing from, where you don't have to spend a ton of money. I mean I would never spend a ton of money on something that I might not use that much. That is why I don't like to spend a ton of money on certain things that I buy.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t buy into following/incorporating every single trend in a given season just to be considered in fashion. I’ve said before that I like seeing what’s out there, and I’m not completely trend-averse, but that doesn’t mean I need them all in my wardrobe. Many trends, in fact, are far better on other people than they would be on me.

Also, the idea that one needs tons of clothes to be stylish and/or express oneself is something I stopped believing in some time back. I felt more stifled, in fact, when my closet was stuffed full of clothing I rarely wore. I’m happy my experimental phase is pretty much out of the way; it’s great having a mostly cohesive wardrobe that doesn’t require much thought to put together an outfit I love.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think being in trend is one fashion myth that I do not follow. I tend to have classic and basic clothes that are very easy to mix and match. They also last long as they are not just for this year because they are not trends. Sure, trends and style repeat but not in another 10 years or so. I would rather have a classic style that will never go out of style.

I also do not believe in brands. Most of the time, there are underrated department store brands that have high quality. I rarely buy expensive clothes as you pay just for the name and not always the quality. Many of the clothes I have are not famous brands but they held up well and are still okay up to now.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mix and match at my leisure. I can't be bothered with fashion accessories. And for that matter, I can't be bothered much with fashion. I design my own clothes and have them made by my partner's mother who happens to be a seamstress. I like handmade clothes and accessories, such as hand-painted scarves, crocheted bags, etc. If I spend any money on accessories, I like that money to go to a talented artist or crafts person.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Being in style is not necessary. I would say the whole style conscious culture is a myth in and of itself. If people are actual going to give you a hard time or treat you differently for not having the latest fashion items, they probably aren't people you want to be friends with or take their opinions to seriously.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh no, I never fell for that one at all! The thing with matching your accessories to your clothes is that you have to be clever about it, too. Otherwise you run the risk of looking like a Christmas tree LOL I mean, there are people out there who like to match everything from head to toe. That doesn't work for me. I tend to buy and collect a lot of different accessories that I can wear with a lot different outfits, so that when I buy a new outfit, that's all I need to buy. Unless it so happens that at the time of buying said outfit, I stumble across great accessories to go with it, at the right price.

9. lalacrazy

lalacrazyNew Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I did buy accessories to match the clothes I bought because I thought I HAD to. But as I started developing my style I realized I didn't have to do so. Buying different types of accessories for specific clothing is very confining, it doesn't give you room to be creative, to show your own style. Another myth is having to buy more expensive clothes to look good, but I learned that money does not buy style. Spending money on good quality clothes that were cheaper gave me options to buy more clothes and develop my style.

10. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with this, except I wanted to make one point as an exception. If you happen to work in an environment where these things do matter, being in fashion or looking well-put together can help you get ahead.
    This doesn't mean you have to spend big, buy you may have to research what is in fashion at the moment.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I'm a guy, I used to have a fair amount of "accessories" as well that I've ultimately ditched over the years too - from bracelets to rings to earrings, neck chains, holsters for my cell phones, pagers, etc... I used to have several watches to choose from at any given time - at least one gold and one silver one, as well as one with a leather strap. Same goes for my neck chains, I always had to have a gold and a silver one to match my watch. I also would get a matching ring just for the hell of it, which would confuse a lot of people into thinking I was married, lol.

Any time I would gain or lose weight, I was constantly having to get these adjusted, or buy newer ones, which became too much of a hassle and too costly. Plus I was constantly dropping them and they would fall behind my dresser, which was another fiasco.

These days my only accessories are my silver watch, a reversible leather belt, and my dress shoes. That's it.