Couchsurfing

Discussion in Travel started by Strykstar • Apr 24, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone tried couchsurfing?
    I have a friend that regularly has people over that he doesn't know, I always think that's really dangerous.
    He says it's worth it when he goes somewhere and doesn't have to pay for lodging, but I think staying in a stranger's house is even more dangerous!

Has anyone tried it?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Same here. I have a friend that does couchsurfing when traveling and so far, all of his experiences were positive ones. Not only it is cheaper, but these days there's all kinds of websites where you can read personal reviews, and thus, know in advance what's waiting for you. The reviews are for both the host and the visitor. I'm too old to try couchsurfing, but it does seem like an interesting experience. Plus, most of the hosts will show you around the city. Something like this never happens with hotels, does it?

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't, but one of my good friends have used couchsurfing in Europe and the US. I would never do it, but I think it's a cool concept. Guys probably would benefit more from this than girls, as I think it can be very dangerous for a girl travelling alone to sleep in the couch somewhere where they don't know anyone with someone they never met before. If I were a guy and wanted to travel on a really tight budget, I probably would try this in places like Norway, Switzerland, Austria... those are known to be safe countries, so it should be a good option!

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly haven't but we have looked into it. I've heard great stories and also have known some friends to do it.

This really can be a great way to save money!! You just need to be careful :)

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be leary of doing it to be honest with you - unless I could secure my place down somehow - keep all the expensive stuff out of reach and locked up. I look at it this way, if they are that cash strapped, they will likely look for any opportunity to take a few things along with them that they can make a quick buck off of. One of my friends in particular is a major kleptomaniac, he even tries to steal stuff off of his own close friends quite regularly - he has no remorse over doing it what so ever either. He would be the type of person to do something like this, and I could guarantee you he would lift some stuff before he left.

6. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I have never tried couch surfing and I would be extremely hesitate to stay at a strangers house. It is a dangerous risk to stay with someone you do not know. I guess some people have no problem with it. It is a way to save money but then again, you really don't know what you are getting yourself into.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No man, that sounds dangerous. I become uncomfortable when a friend that I know comes to visit in my house let alone a stranger, but I guess that would be fun to do sometimes.

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I heard about this guy awhile back who wanted to set a record for how many different odd jobs he could do in the course of a year. He was doing this all over the world, couch surfing as he went along, because he wouldn't be in one place very long. Of course it wasn't a vacation, but what an experience. And he made lots of friends along the way and made the news headlines. But it does sound like a cheapskates way to travel, that's for sure.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    NO, I would never ever try this. It's really dangerous, I am not going to risk myself for this, although it appears to be pretty exciting. I am willing spend for my safety. Besides, it's not quite fun at all to be living even for temporary in someone's house where you yourself have to make adjustments. You will have to adjust to their culture and compromise yours for a little while. I don't think I can just do it.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of couchsurfing. No I haven't tried it. I think it's far too dangerous. I am glad that your friend hasn't had any problems. Probably most people are honest. It's the few bad apples that make it dangerous.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Couchsurfing is not as dangerous as everyone presumes. Why should you expect the worst from everybody. Of course I must admit that being wary sometimes does help you from regretting making the choices you made somewhere along the line but apart from taking the necessary precautions like avoiding being drugged by cooking your own meals and declining any drink you're offered, what's there to be afraid of?

My brother did some couch-surfing once and it worked out quite well. Yeah there's a small risk involved but where would the world be if no one was willing to take risks? Sometimes to save money, you have to take some 'measured risks' too.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never tried it and I don't think I ever would. I'd rather just pay money and be more secure in traveling, but I'm sure that if this practice has lived on for this long then there are probably enough security measures put in place for its participants. It's just not for me as I don't feel much need to get into that scene.

13. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    People, it's not as dangerous as you think it is. 99% of people on this world are friendly and happy to help. If you are still scared, you can pick Couchsurfers that have a lot of refferals and comments so you can make sure they are friendly and not a serial killer.

I've used couchsurfing on more than one ocasion. I've both hosted and surfed. I've surfed in India, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Berlin and Copenhagen. I never faced any problems and all of the hosts were extremely kind and friendly, offering drinks and food!

If you are their guest, be sure to act appropriately, offer help and give them a small gift to thank them! I brought a simple post card from the Danish metro to my host in Berlin and he was so excited! He told me he never gets anything from his guests! Even a small thing like that can make their day!

14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    On the surface it sounds like a great way to save some money (and I'm sure it is) as long as everything goes OK. But I would just think the whole set up would be so dangerous for both the "surfer" and the host. I mean, do people do background checks on each other? It just seems to risky to go into a strangers home, you have to watch everyone even people who seem harmless. I've seen too many stories of people like even little old ladies bumping people off. And you would have never suspected. You have to be so careful. I wouldn't do it.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm guessing your a man? The world is a safer place for men let's be real. I'm not sure about 99% of the world being a friendly place, there are a good number of people who are happy to be helpful and are nice, but even if it was just 1% of the world that were ax murderers I still wouldn't take the risk. And I'm sure its WAAAAAAAAYYYY more than just 1%.

16. BoomSchroasted

BoomSchroastedNew Member

Threads:
    A couple of buddies who live in my dorm room have tried it. I mean, it would definitely be something fun to try out... But it is by no means safe at all. Depending on where you are doing it, it would be very possible to die!

However, if you are doing it in a "safe" environment with proper protection, I could see how it could be a fun activity to do with friends. Might have to give it a try this year in college!