Could Dsl Become Obsolete?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by pafjlh • Feb 13, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I know that not something any of us think could happen, but given the way the spead of DSL is getting worse I have to wonder. Lately I have noticed that my DSL signal is slower then it has been in years. I know that DSL has grown in my area but the growth hasn't helped the connection but seems to have made it worse. I now feel at times as if I am back on dial up instead of DSL.

Now maybe DSL isn't on the way out and being replaced by cable high spped Internet, but in order to survive it might need an over haul. In other words work done on its signal. Otherwise if I could ever afford to do so, I am switching from DSL to a high speed cable Internet service.

2. Hurin

HurinNew Member

Threads:
    DSL is definitely not going anywhere. It's an extremely convenient way to bundle internet services to your telephone lines. I'm not sure what you mean when you say your DSL signal has grown worse. The technology hasn't regressed if that's what you mean. The most likely cause of your slower signals is probably congestion and aging of the telephone lines.

Cable and fibre optics are definitely major improvements to the DSL system, but I don't think DSL will become obsolete. So long as ISPs continue to maintain the lines properly and provide enough so that congestion doesn't create too much noise, DSL will probably continue to be used for a few more decades.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    DSL is still very much used, and it's profitable for the internet service providers, so why would they stop using it? It actually saves the subscriber some money too because of all those bundled plans. We did consider applying for a DSL plan before, but it didn't push through because we cancelled the landline subscription because it wasn't being used anymore.