Could You Live In A Rv Full Time?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by eagletal88 • Mar 13, 2015.

1. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I have always had a dream of living in a RV and just traveling the country and keeping in the "warm" weather. I would have liked to do it earlier in my life, but with a new marriage and probably kids in the near future I don't think that would be feasible. But I think later on, my wife and I would love to live in an RV for at least the winter months.

So could you do it? Would it be too cramped for you??

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. Probably not becuase it would be cramped, but because it would just be really really weird, uncomfortable, and not the cheapest either.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I could, and I think it would be fun to do so. I have recently watched Tiny Home trend, and that too is very appealing to me. I like to cut down and cut out on so much stuffs that we human got so attached to, and just keep the bare minimum for daily living!

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, some of us think of RV's as these small cramped spaces. Yes, some of them are still liked that, but there are models that are quite spacious and have a great many features. Some that I have seen at RV shows are nicer then some houses I have been in including my own. I think for someone who dreams of owning an RV and traveling around in one hey why not live in it. There are people who do just that and seem to love the freedom it provides them.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! Cramped or not, I'm not meant for one place for the rest of my life and I'm definitely not into paying rent or mortgage to tie me down and wipe me out financially when it could go towards experiencing real life. Which we only have ONE of, which it seems people need to be reminded of. I'm a nomad at heart lol. I don't know about the upkeep and the reality of forever in an RV itself, but the roaming and the experiences are enough for me to give it a shot and see where it goes.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Maybe, maybe not. I have moved around a lot and I have partially lived out of my car before even. It's doable, no doubt, but I don't think it's necessarily something I WANT to do. It doesn't sound as enjoyable to me as it does to a lot of other people.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to live in a classy old Bedford truck from the 60's for more than 5 years. My partner and I traveled all over Australia with it. The truth is that I never "recovered" from that wonderful experience. It has shaped me for life. I have difficulties living in a normal house these days. I prefer to camp in my tent in the backyard, sleep in the car, or in my neighbor's tree house. :)

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't live in the US, but just imagining living in a cramped space and having to pay for gas and you also have to know how to drive is so not for me. I also have a cat, and he needs a garden to roam and relax in, plus grass and trees to scratch on, so I think I would pass.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We live in our RV (a 30 foot 5th Wheel) for about half of the year with two adults and a teen. It has two (small) bedrooms and there's always plenty of outdoor space. Our total square footage is pretty small but we've slowly increased our travel time so we've had time to get used to it. Our goal is to be full time once our daughter is old enough to live on her own. Now, most of our staying still time is to accommodate her standardized testing (she uses an online charter school but has to be in-state to take standardized testing at the end of the year) and cheer season.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely! I believe that happiness is relative and a happy life results from us being contented on what we currently have, and still having the balls to dream and aspire for our goals. I would also like to live in an RV and travel my country. I'm guessing that it would be an exhilarating experience since my country has more than 7000 islands which means that I have lots of places to discover and explore.

When you also consider the kind of technology that we have today, living in an RV would not be any different from living in a normal house because you can now have access to working kitchen equipment, a proper toilet or maybe a bathroom even. You can also install a small television and your own wifi. I mean, all that things being available to you while still living in a place where everything is within your hand's reach must feel so damn good. :D

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could not agree more!!!

I could most definitely live in an RV. Just the lack of a mortgage, alone, is enough to sway me. I don't think that I'd be too short on space, depending on how many of us were living in it, of course. I could travel a lot easier, and have money for living actual life instead of having to work to live it, and then not actually get to live it because I have to pay a mortgage, and worry about sustaining the life that I want to live, but never quite can afford to live. Out of breath? Yeah, me too lol.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I could probably do it for a while but after some time I'll just feel too cramped and I will start to want more space. I also prefer to sleep and eat as far as possible from bathrooms so it will probably peeve me for a while until I get used to it. I'm not that much against it though since there are lots of other living situations infinitely worse than living in an RV.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL whew!

It's settled then. When my kids leave the nest, you and I hitting the road! lol. I do spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make it work, but the best results I've had in life are because of the forks in the road I took without debate. "Just say yes, and you'll figure it out afterwards".

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, yes, and more yes??? Take me!!!! We don't even have to wait until your lovely children leave the nest. We can plan this trip in the summer holidays, just as a trial thing, to see how we'd cope in the long run? Lol!!! You're driving ;) I'll cook :)

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I could do it for a few months, for a vacation. But I like to collect things, so after a while I would want a permanent home for my video game collection and my anime DVDs ,so I'm not enough of a minimalist to live in an RV long term. I can see the appeal, though.

16. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    That would definitely affect your kids the most. They'll have to keep up with the constant moving and never really form long-lasting friendships. Never mind about the changing of schools all the time. If I didn't have kids I could see myself living in an RV, but not permanently.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ummmm.. that might be a problem. I've never driven a day in my life lol. Can you drive and I cook? Would you even eat my cooking?? LOL. It would be amazing though. No ties to anything would be an awesome experience. I sort of feel it since leaving my home town, but what society expects of it's people is just soul crushing sometimes lol.

I don't know about you, but I don't need to see my friends every single day. I can always visit them. Same with the children. They'd make SOOO many friends and visit them whenever. Travel is the best form of learning.. you learn more from it than you would a silly school that knows nothing of real education lol. Roots don't teach much.. it's just a nice thought everyone believes is the only way. Experiencing everything seems a little more appealing to me. And we'd settle somewhere when it's time for the kids to start their lives working (if they choose the traditional route) leaving the nest, relationships etc. Besides.. I personally would never do anything involving the kids without their agreement. It's their lives too. With that said.. I already know my kids would love it lol.

18. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds too anecdotal to be even be considered relevant, and discounting formal education outright just makes this horrendously bad advice.

I truly wish your kids the best of luck and hope they turn out fine if you think you can eschew formal education because 'travel is the best form of learning.' I hope they are already in their late teens now, and not still in grade school or something. I also hope they had some long-lasting relationships with other kids sometime in their lives and that their social skills developed normally.

It's really weird that reading your previous comments I can't help but think that you have some sort of aversion to normal/common living practices and 'giving it a shot and seeing where it goes' doesn't really give me the confidence that I'm dealing with a serious adult here, especially since you have kids. In fact it doesn't even sound like you know what it's like to have children at all! But I could be wrong and if I am, then I apologize.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your kids again.

19. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's fine for young couples or retired couples going for a road trip, but my friend who is older and single the novelty has worn off after two years. She now tries to house sit for people as she is not in a position to buy a house again, so I think it's good in-between but not long term. People live in them out of choice, but many not out of choice.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL.. insulting much? So close minded. If only you could sit in a room with my kids for even 5 minutes. They'd likely show you up in intelligence, social skills and definitely in tact. There is not just one way to live. If you could see outside the walls of your box, you'd maybe look into that. What works for you, doesn't work for many. Our lives are quite fulfilling, thanks.

PS: I'm sure you know what I want you to do with your "normal and common" ;)

#20Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015