Craft Supplies

Discussion in Misc & Others started by galmal • Feb 18, 2015.

1. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    I do a lot of different crafts but we live so far out in the country, there really aren't a lot of options for me. The closest craft store is about 45 miles away in one direction and 60 miles in the other. There's a Hobby Lobby at the closest one, and a Michael's in the other direction. I like both stores, but I think I actually prefer Hobby Lobby.

I'm lucky that there are two local quilt shops, so I have a really great selection of Fabric and quilting supplies that are only about 10-15 miles away. Their fabrics are so much prettier and better quality than either Hobby Lobby or Michael's

Somethings I don't mind buying online, like drawing supplies and embroidery floss, but other things I want to be able to touch and feel, and see in person. What about you, what hobbies do you have and what is your favorite store for crafting supplies?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a local store called Country Crafts located in one of the malls here in my city. During my teenage years, I frequently visited the place to buy beads, yarns and cross-stitch threads. I used to cross-stitch a lot but since the hobby competed with my reading, I ditched it when I got to College. At present, I occasionally draw (freehand), sew clothes or cut out doilies.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Craft stores are a dying art out in the physical world, along with fabric stores. Even where I live in the state of Arizona there are very few if any. It would seem that these have become more viral these days. I really don't mind this too much, I can go to places such as Amazon or Ebay and get some great sells on fabrics, sewing supplies and other craft supplies there. I understand what you are saying though sometimes its nice to actually see the product before buying it to know if its exactly what you want, but this time of convenience is becoming more and more obsolete.

4. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    My sister has 3 small boys and is a stay at home mom so she is trying to stretch every dollar. Recently she has gotten into sewing and making things herself that she needs around the house. Michaels and Hobby Lobby can be a little pricy sometimes so we've learned to search the thrift stores for her crafting needs and it's a lot cheaper. I'm amazed at all of the good things that we find, especially the fabric. Some of the stuff is practically new. The thrift stores have become my new friend. I usually always look there first.

5. Linda Shaw

Linda ShawNew Member

Threads:
    You can buy just about any kind of craft supplies on the internet. A lot of times items are cheaper than in the craft stores also. You can also buy from the craft store websites also, and sometimes using coupons makes it a better deal.

6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I like to knit and crochet but mostly crochet. I have been taking up some new skills such as tatting and sewing. We have a Walmart and a jo anns near by but I'm also looking for cheaper supplies. I get what you mean by wanting to touch the fabrics. I feel the same way when it comes to yarns. It could make the difference in what I make with it. If it's too scratchy that's a no no. Then I have to think about return shipping costs.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like to draw and paint as a hobby an unfortunately not many people here do so I don't have convenient craft supplies stores I could go to nearby. There are some that I need to ravel quite a bit for but it's not too much trouble so I just go there if I really wanted new supplies. I can tog frequently though so I just pile up my needed items and I list them as I remember them thought the course of a month or so for when I do make the trip I can get all the supplies I need that can last me for a few months and thus saving me some travel time and effort.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I try to keep my craft budget as close to zero as possible, simply because it's an extra item in our budget, not a necessity. That being said, I love to craft and have found ways to up cycle items that would normally be thrown away, and turn them into crafts. For example, for a free Halloween decoration, we had each family member use a Sharpie to draw a ghost face onto a cleaned milk jug. Then we ran white Christmas lights through the jugs and voila, easy family, free ghost craft! I regularly keep jars for crafts, too, such as pickle or spaghetti sauce jars and lids. Once I made owl candy jars for an owl-themed baby shower I helped with.

As far as fabric is concerned, I have started to keep worn out, outgrown, or unwanted clothing for sewing projects. I also look at thrift stores and garage sales for flat sheets, curtains, and other inexpensive linen items to use as fabric for sewing projects. For example, I plan to use a large red sweater to make matching Christmas stockings this year, as well as insulation for my curtains by adding flannels to the back. I have also used old t shirts to make no-sew tote bags. There are a ton of great upcycling craft ideas online, especially on Pinterest!

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have different favorite stores for various supplies. Hobby Lobby has some nice beads, and they can be affordable with coupons sometimes. They have the best selection of yarn, also, as well as general craft supplies. JoAnn has a lot of variety with regard to beads and other craft supplies, as well as some yarn. Michael's has a really good selection of other craft supplies, beads and yarn, but can also be pricey. Hancock Fabrics doesn't have all that much in the way of beads (although I understand they have some stores that are both fabric and craft supplies locations), but has a good variety of fabric and some yarn. Hancock's prices on the yarn are higher than the others, but they have a loyalty card and also decent coupons. I buy a lot of my supplies online, and am going through my stash to use up things that have been languishing for a while, to save on costs.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, you sound like you could be my neighbor. We're basically in the same boat, access wise. I do get near Hobby Lobby at times, but then again, things add up quickly there unless they are having some big sales.

I pick up a few craft supplies at Walmart from time to time as well. Some stores offer a lot more than others, and they do put on some good sales.

For the most part, I upcycle (repurpose) as much as possible. Many of my craft supplies are things I already have or things that are given to me or just stuff I pick up at thrift stores on the cheap.