Credit card number

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Peninha • Mar 18, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have your credit card number memorized in your online accounts? If so, don't you think this makes it easier to buy something by impulse? I think that if we removed our credit card information from our online accounts we might end up saving some money...

2. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I can't remember my credit card number, but I still retain my old card and that actually came in useful a few months ago.

I was paying a monthly service via paypal but the service provider said they can't accept paypal anymore and needed my credit card. I gave my current credit card details as I needed the service to be active but as soon as I didn't need it, I went through the procedure to cancel it and jump ship.

So why did my old card come in useful? I anticipated that they would charge me anyway and I replaced the credit card details with the old one that's no longer valid - they tried charging me twice! despite having a confirmed cancelled service. Billing systems are able to recognise a fake 16 digit CC number but an old invalid card still does the trick with account pages :)

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have my number memorized, but my husband and my mother both do. My mom is like an online shopping addict, and my husband pays most of our bills with the credit card.

I agree, it saves tons of time and it is far safer than allowing the site to save the number for you. I often set up an account that saves my address, but I never save my credit card info.

I've actually had my cards compromised often enough that I've had new cards issued, and that makes it harder for me to memorize the numbers.

On a dorkier note, I do have my library card number memorized. It is like 14 digits long. But yes, I type it often enough that I've got it committed to memory for reserving books. Haha.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't impulse buy based on whether or not a site has my info saved. In fact, the inconvenience of needing to go get my card out and put in the numbers is frustrating and sometimes delays me getting items taken care of that I NEED to take care of (such as paying a bill or buying an item I need). It doesn't help me any to avoid letting sites save my CC info.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I don't store my credit card number on online things, except for a couple of services that I use often. It's more to do with security than preventing impulse shopping, I'm pretty good at controlling my spending so I don't really need to make it hard for myself to buy things.

6. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I never remember the number to any of my cards. I don't even remember my SIN. As for storing them online, I do occasionally for large reputable sites such as GoDaddy and Paypal.

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I remember mine off the top of my head! I don't even do that much shopping, I just always use it to pay bills. I don't think it makes me buy things that I wouldn't otherwise buy, though.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I don't have my number memorized anywhere and I was always wondering why the Facebook games (for example) offer us credits just to put the credit card number, this is probably it, the next purchase would just be a click away right?

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, that's exactly it!

When a person is laying in bed in the middle of the night, playing a random game because they can't sleep, and then suddenly, there's a game perk or bonus that they can buy for only $.99.... they're not going to get up out of bed to go get their credit card. But if their payment information is already saved, then it's just a click or two away from agreeing to that tiny purchase. For any given purchase, that dollar probably isn't much, but if they do it regularly... it adds up. And for the company? That means big bucks as a BUNCH of people end up doing that overtime.

Just look at how Candy Crush has made out:

I don't think any of their items cost more than $.99....

10. aznar5

aznar5New Member

Threads:
    On websites where you have the option of saving your credit card number I always select no. I hear about websites getting hacked all the time and I don't want my credit card info to end up in nefarious hands.

But you are right, all it would take is for me to hide my card from myself and I wouldn't be able to make any new purchases online. I don't play many mobile games, but I can see where the temptation to leave it saved would come up.

11. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    No. That would be rather stupid. I use my credt card through Paypal. I let them process the payments. Instead of entering my information on every site. That way my personal information is safe.

12. JoJoYorkshire

JoJoYorkshireNew Member

Threads:
    I don't save my credit card details on shopping sites or sign up for things like Amazon's one click ordering. It's not really the temptation aspect because I don't have a problem stopping myself if I don't have the money or don't need the item, I just don't like the idea of them saving my details and them being so readily acceptable! I do remember one of my credit card numbers though, which comes in handy from time to time!

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is true, just for under a dollar I can continue to waste my time lol! :D I am amazed with Candy Crush and other similar games, they are everywhere. In my country they even advertise on TV, I don't know how they manage so much money. 7.6 billion for Candy Crush, are you serious??? :eek: