Cross-country Travel

Discussion in Travel started by Alaska7 • Aug 1, 2012.

1. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I have some friends that are considering a month or two-month trip across the USA (from California to NY and back) this fall, and they're looking for some pointers for cheap traveling and accomodations. They're planning on driving, and staying in the cheapest hotels possible- certainly sounds like an adventure. Any tips or experiences to share?

2. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I have travelled cross country with my family about 3 times. We drove from Chicago up to Washington state and down to San Diego and back to Chicago. We loved it. We would try and pick up coupons for hotels, and I would shop and buy some food for lunch and stop at parks and resting areas to have our lunch. We would stop in city's and look up the attractions. It is really a lot of fun if you don't mind being on the road all the time. I remember getting anxious at times and just wanting to go home but when you are driving and you are so far from home you don't have much of a choice. My husband enjoys doing this. They should check on line for coupons and make a route for themselves. Tell them to enjoy it. It is really not everyday you can do that because you spend a lot of money.

3. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes staying in the cheapest hotels possible can be a little bit of a hassle. I've stayed in a couple of hotels that were either unclean or beat up or both. In one of them, there were prostitutes wandering right in the parking lot. In another, I was afraid to go to sleep because I thought my car was going to be gone when i woke up. I wouldn't recommend staying in the cheapest hotel possible if you don't know the area.