Curved TVs launched

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by rachel1970 • May 9, 2013.

1. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    LG have just launched the first OLED curved ultra-thin TV. And while there's no doubt that it looks fantastic and offers an unrivalle viewing experience, the price tag for the 55 inch screen is an eye-watering $13500!

Would you buy one if money was no object, or do you think that it's just another 'must-have' gadget for those with more money than sense?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think any tv in this world is worth that much money that's just crazy even if i had the money i still wouldn't spend that much on a tv

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This reminds me of the past where they were selling fishbowl TVs to be more futuristic. I'm not at all for it, it's just a novelty. I'll buy it when it's outdated and cheap and I'd only ever buy it for the quirkiness of it. Suffice to say I'm not at all interested. :p But I think it's more for publicity anyway.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If money was not an issue, then why not? Maybe I'd be the coolest man on the block. Lol. But, I would like to know about the advantages that a curved TV has over other televisions. And, why is it very freakin' costly?

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They might serve some purpose in the future when TV's start getting so large that they need to have a bit of a curve to them for a peripheral 3d effect, kind of like IMAX movies but in your home. Also, I could see them being used a lot for store displays and on news sets and stage sets.

6. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    The thing with technology is that prices do come down rapidly within a year or two so if this doesn't turn out to be a flash in the pan, we might see more of this from various other makers with more improvements at much lower prices. I would love to get one if it actually does give a much better viewing experience but definitely not at the current price.

7. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Tell me, is this price related to the features or as usual to its name and design? I'm saying, in other words, I wouldn't spend more than $500 on TV even if money wasn't the problem it is now..:)

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere that the effect was indeed better, especially while watching nature programs. However, you need to be sitting at the right angle to get the best watching experience on the curved TV. Having said that, I think the price is a bit too fancy. Wait till the others come up with similar stuff and better features. The price will have to come down a notch or two with competition.