Cut Down on Drinks

Discussion in Food & Drink started by difrancprod • May 21, 2012.

1. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Here's something that I have noticed when ordering in restaurants, the price of their drinks is high! You can cut down on the price of your meal if you stick to just drinking their tap water. :)

2. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you are located. Drinks in my country are cheap especially in my area, albeit it's near the beach and tourists are all over the place. However, a few minutes down the road, you can find restaurants with the same types of drinks but priced a lot higher! It's ridiculous. A local draught could cost twice or even three times more than at a tavern that my fiancé and I frequent regularly. Aside from their affordable drinks, the food is good and delicious. The place has been around for more than 10 years, and they are definitely doing something right, as other places have changed within two to three years.

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Drinking just their tap water? LOL! It is a nice thing to save money but you can never be sure about how clean their tap water is. I also have noticed that their drinks are very high compared to sodas you get on department stores. Usually they are 25-30% higher. Why don't you just put a can of soda in your bag and then drink that after you finish your meal or snack? :)

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Funny you should mention this. I have noticed that in some places the drinks are more expensive than the meal itself. Especially if you are wanting a glass of wine or so. Friends and I went to a restaurant and the drinks were practically as much as the dishes (okay, we did order wine but even their sodas were pricey!!). My word, so not right! Thanks for the tip.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If we're going out for a meal, I always have a drink at home, so I'm not too thirsty when we arrive. I usually opt for the set menu, which includes a drink. Some restaurants here include half a bottle of wine as part of the deal, so it's worth checking it out. You're right, though - drinks are almost always the most expensive part of the meal.

6. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Hmmm....I don't go out for a meal to drink tap water! A bottle of house wine is generally around £10-£14.00 which I think is pretty reasonable.

7. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I met my daughters in wilmington yesterday and we all went out to a buffett for lunch. I had3 of my boys with me as well. With just drinking water Lunch only cost us about 36 dollars. That was for 4 adults and 2 children. Its about 2 dollars a drink there just for tea and soda.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    The price of alcohol at a restaurant is even more disturbing when you think of how much profit the restaurant is making. I mean, for example, most restaurants will give you their cheapest house wine for about five or six dollars a glass. You could go to your local liquor store and get a whole bottle of that same cheap wine for maybe nine or ten dollars. That's an insane markup.

9. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    I do order only water at a restaurant if I'm there to eat a meal. I agree that they price drinks way too high and you aren't going to be there long enough to get your money's worth. Water is so much better for you anyways, so why not save?

10. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    If you love red or white wine, you could always bring a bottle and have it opened at the restaurant. It's cheaper and you can bring as many bottles as you want, as long as you pay the corkage fee accordingly.

11. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, I just always go with service water. At times, what my family and I does is just buy drinks from the nearby supermarket (if we're in a mall), since the drinks will definitely be much cheaper.

12. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    Yep, you'll notice a significant difference in your bill by just switching to tap water, that's for sure. Might not be what you want, but it does help save money.

If you eat at McDonald's, you can save a lot on drinks there because they have any size for just $1. I know McDonald's can be kind of gross though.

13. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The alcoholic drinks are the ones that we try to avoid because they can really add to the cost quickly if you order more than one a piece. If we do go out for a really nice dinner, I will try to stick to having only one alcholic drink. In most cases, we usually go for the iced tea or water because they will refill at no extra charge.

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Yep! Whenever my fiancee and I go out the only thing we drink is water. We get dirty looks from the waiters because it means less tip for them, but I don't feel like paying $1.99 for a soda, $2.99 for juice, $3 for Perrier or $10 for alcohol (we don't even drink booze). It's a waste and any bill can be cut by avoiding the drinks and even appetizers.