"Cute" clothes with ribbons, frills, lace... - too childish?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zikkled • Aug 18, 2014.

1. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    Well, as of recently, lace seems to have become very popular, so I guess I can strike that off right away, but when it comes to things like frilly socks or dresses with lace/ruffle trim at the bottom... are they too childish?

You see a lot of this in Korean and Japanese fashion in general, and can get a hold of many of these clothes by buying from Chinese sellers online. The Fabric may not be of very high quality, but the clothes are super cheap and most of all, they're really cute! There are better brands, which I usually stick to, but I've never gone as far as buying from real "lolita" retailers, since their tights start at around $30 and... I won't even talk about the dresses.

Are these clothes too childish for a young adult? What do you think?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I would not wear clothes with this type of embellishment because I think it is a bit childish for a young adult. I see a lot of bows and lace in stores now so most consumers must disagree with me because a lot of designers seem to be embracing the idea. If I were ever to buy an article of clothing with these types of "extras" I would probably buy it on sale or for a very reasonable price because I don't think I would wear it more than once or twice.

3. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    Hmm yeah, I get where you're coming from; a lot of people I know think like this as well. I was a little surprised to see that lace was becoming so popular, but was happy because I wouldn't look too out of place wearing something like that.

I haven't seen a lot of ribbons around, though. Maybe they haven't caught on here on South Cali, heh. I should try sticking to less childish-looking clothes, though...

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I were you I wouldn't care about what others think about how I look in particular clothes. You shouldn't dress to impress people. Yeah you cant' stop tongues from wagging but that doesn't last long either. Once people around you realize you don't care about what they think, they'll stop talking or staring if they did that.

For me I'd say, if you find such clothes beautiful then by all means go right ahead and buy them. Start by wearing them at home to get used to the feel.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Frills, ribbons, lace, whatever makes you happy, that is my policy. I don't care if my bank manager appeared in a pink tutu, as long as he is focused on the job. It really doesn't matter to me at all what people like to wear. If they feel comfortable and happy in their clothes and accessories, I feel relaxed as well. I just don't like folks who constantly fiddle around with their clothing or hair. I find it distracting and sometimes annoying.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am so glad more feminine looking clothes are back in. Right now, I am headed to work. Today, I have on a skirt outfit. My hair is braided to the side and a flower pin is setting it off. When winter comes I'll be forced into more restricted clothes so I am enjoying this moment.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love frilly, lacy and girly things, but not to the point that it looks childish. If you know the right amount of frill you look cute and even sexy depending on what you're wearing. However too much gets a bit overdone.

8. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't find them too childish at all! I really like cute dresses with lace. They can definitely look professional! If you could share some pictures of dresses with us to help us decide, we would appreciate it! While I personally don't like the overly-childish look of Japanese teens, I really like girls with girly dresses that have ribbons and lace. Look, if you feel comfortable wearing it, don't think about it too much! If you love the dress, others will, too!

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't find it childish honestly. I find it kind of classy, if you remember that use to be very popular among women throughout different era's. Now you can make it look little girlish depending on how you dress up, but you can also make it look very professional and mature. This involves neutral colors, very minimal and non-gaudy accessories, and the shoes also make a big difference as does the hair. Regardless, where what makes you happy and what is appropriate for work. Don't worry about what other people think.

10. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    Aw jeez, I'm gone on vacation for a while and come back to find all these nice replies!! It's inspiring to hear it shouldn't matter much to me what people think.

@isabbbela I agree with you in that there's a certain limit to such things!! So I'll be careful when I dress like this.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a fan of Japanese fashion and culture and I think it's fine if adults want to wear Gothic Lolita fashions. I'd rather see an adult wearing a lace dress from Baby The Stars Shine Bright than some of the sloppy clothes like tube tops and sweatpants that I see people wearing at Walmart.

[​IMG]
    f0130ef017e64cfc2d21125b5be97002.

Attached Files:

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as the lace, ribbons, and frills aren't excessive and they are moderately added just like the ones that ACSAPA posted, then I guess it's fine. You can easily tell anyway if the clothing already looks childish or not.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only like subtle lace on a top on the neckline but the frilly look that many Asian girls wear is not my style.
    I have a grown up friend who wears these clothes, but she looks ridiculous, but she does it to get attention. It is not a professional look, fine if you want to wander around the market or shops, but not for work or a social gathering, unless everyone is of the same mind.

Many geeks/gamers like the look which is very feminine . I don't find them very practical, but I wouldn't be buying them anyhow.
    If I was interviewing someone with an outfit with lace and bows, it would influence me as to how serious they are. To me people of a certain frame of mind like this type of look.