Cuts of meat

Discussion in Food & Drink started by GavinMcresty • May 8, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I have been watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (the British version) quite a bit recently. He often talks about being able to save money by buying cheaper parts of the animal. I was wondering whether people do the same for their own cooking. Do you always buy the "main" parts such as sirloin or do you go for snouts, tongues and tails? What do you do with the parts you buy? Feel free to post pictures and recipes!

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually buy thigh meat of chicken instead of breast when I need it for a recipe. It's a lot tastier and more moist, plus it's a whole lot cheaper. I'm not much of a foodie nor a chef, so I honestly don't know if the difference is noticeable at all, but I don't notice anything, it's still chicken meat after all.

3. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    To be honest, I am vegetarian so I do not really know much about the subject at all. I was just curious about whether people do this kind of thing to save money in general. It seemed like good advice but I had no idea if it is practical for an individual cooking for themselves as opposed to someone trying to run a restaurant. For example, most people will buy their meat from supermarkets or a butcher rather than a wholesaler. The cheapest parts would probably not be sold by a supermarket at all.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go for snouts and such (although I know some people who make a delicacy out of them) but I do tend to go for cheaper cuts of steak and such. I rarely buy a sirloin steak. I'll buy a chuck steak and then cook it in the crock pot. That usually softens it up so much that you can't tell the difference.