Cutting our own hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Jul 21, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I went to have an haircut for some reason the front side of my hair was too long. That has been annoying me for a few days so yesterday I made justice with my own hands, grabbed the scissors and cut a few piece of hair. Surprisingly it was not too bad, sure, not perfect, but fairly presentable... :) Have you tried to cut your own hair? Would you see this as a way to save money?

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yep! I've done this many times when I wanted to make my ends even. I have a problem with those scissors. Sometimes I get the cutting and I can't stop. I find something else wrong and feel I have to fix this or that. I become a nut in the mirror just chopping away. I've gotten better though as I don't obsess over small stuff with my hair anymore.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I do that when I need a little trim. I figured that why should I bother to go to the salon when I can do it myself. And I also get to save time, money, and effort in doing it. The finished product is not very good but not bad either, so I think I will just cut my hair when I need a to cut a few inches off.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I've never tried to cut my own hair--with the exception of giving myself a quick bang trim when I was 6--because I have a feeling I would do a terrible job. I have some layers and medium length hair and I don't think I would be able to cut my hair to give it a shape. If I was really broke I would cut my own hair, but I hope I never have to.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have cut my own hair many times in the past, but I honestly wasn't doing it to save money but rather just wanted to experiment and maybe even try out making a few hairstyles I liked that I found hard to explain to the barbers. Fortunately, I never messed up too much that I needed to cover my head when going out, but the process is a bit too tedious for me to keep up so nowadays I just go to an expert since it doesn't really cost that much anyway nor does it really take that long.

6. espeons

espeonsNew Member

Threads:
    I cut my own fringe once, thinking it would be easy. It was so wonky that I ended up cutting it really short to tidy it up and it was a total mess. I had to go to the hairdressers and admit what I'd done the next day to get them to fix it. Never again!

7. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I won't lie I am too scared too. I'd rather cut my own hair, it would save me time and money. But I use to cut Barbie dolls hair and it looked terrible. I cut my hubby's hair once, and it looked like a bowl cut. I just don't have the touch and do not want to practice on my own head. Though I was watching a video about cutting side bangs which I would love to do, but again am too nervous.

8. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Only to trim my hair when I wanted to let it grow some more
    before going to a haircut.

9. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Nope! Not in a million years.

My friend did cut my hair for a while there last year, but she's been trained and stuff, so I was basically getting a proper haircut for free anyways. I'd never let anyone near my hair if they didn't know what they were doing to be honest.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I regularly cut my own hair. Before I did it myself, I always had my mom do it for me. I've never had a professional haircut actually.

That being said, I also don't do anything fancy like layers or cutting it super short, so I don't think it's that big of a deal to do it myself.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I imagine that a woman cutting her own hair is easier than if a man with short hair does it, I mean, what do you do Jessi, you just cut it a bit and you're done, but in my case if I make a mistake I am bald in a part of the head and that's way stranger. I need to get it cut soon by a pro, it's not looking so good after all... :D

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I cut my own hair. Mine is curly so accuracy is not that important as curls are not perfect. I use the ponytail method to cut long layers. What you do is tie the ponytail at the center of the forehead and then cut the desired length. I keep mine as long as I can, only cutting enough to take care of the split ends. I haven't had a proffesional haircut in years and I'm happier. Not only do I save money but I like the results. I tend not to trust hairstylists as most I've been tend to cut my hair too short and forget that curly hair shrinks when dry.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am surprised with the number of people that cut their own hair and at the same time I am envious that I can't do it on my own, but I had my fair share of bad experiences lol. Also, I just cut mine 3 or 4 times per year, so it's not so bad. After my cut from a few days ago I am really needing to go there, possibly this week I am finally getting my summer cut, meaning, really short. :cool:

14. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I would be scared to cut my hair because I would be afraid that I would cut too much. I can't even cut my friends hair because of the same thing. I would rather get someone else to do it. I do think it would be a great way to save money than to go and get it professionally cut. At least my family and friends won't charge me in order to cut my hair the way the beautician will.

15. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I was afraid to cut my hair but I kept not getting around to going to someone to do it, and one night before a party I got fed up with it and went in with the scissors - and haven't been back to a salon since! I keep my hair long and it is very easy to cut to the same length and just add a tiny bit of long layers on the side so I can have little pieces that fall out of my ponytail. If I were going to get a complicated or short style I'd go to the salon but for now I really enjoy the time and money savings of doing it myself.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut my own hair and have been doing it for years, it's hard to find someone to cut my hair the way I want it cut. I have short hair so it is not hard to keep it cut short with a clippers. I like to cut my hair because I do not have to wait for someone to have time to cut my hair or my turn when I go to the barber.

17. maRei

maReiNew Member

Threads:
    I cut my own bangs. I have been doing that since forever (lol). It sure saves me money and the hassle of going to a salon. I have never tried cutting the rest of my hair though. I think I'll just mess it up because I can't see the back part. The farthest I've gone is layering the sides of my hair when it was still in trend. I have seen tutorials on the web, for cutting hair to different styles, which seem fairly easy to follow, but I just can't get myself to do it. I simply don't think that I could pull it off.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The bangs is ok I guess, I believer everyone does that. I finally went to my hairdresser and she wasn't very happy with my doing lol, she said that the cut wouldn't be perfect this time because it was very irregular what I did. I guess she has a sharp eye because I look at my head and it seems fine. I am not doing it again soon I think, unless it looks really bad.