CVS & Walgreen's - What's the Difference

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mythman • Mar 23, 2014.

?

CVS or Walgreens: From Which Do You Buy Most-Often (& Why)?

1. CVS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Walgreens

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The few places I've seen one of them (Walgreen's or CVS), there's always been the other one across the street.

A friend tells me that CVS is owned by a Canadian company that's larger than 'Sam Walgreen Inc.'

But what else is different about the two places? Do they have different focusses (foci?)? i.e. I always go to Walgreen's for ______, but I always go to CVS for _____.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    CVS has a great rewards program called Extracare Bucks. Some couponers get tons of free stuff by using their rewards to buy other items that qualify for rewards so that it's a never ending cycle of free stuff.
    Walgreens has a rewards program too but I hate that sometimes you have to mail in a receipt to get your rewards. Snail mail offers are inconvenient.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Is that the only difference (in effect) between the places? Their Rewards-Programs?

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much. They're both just pharmacies that also sell some groceries, school supplies and miscellaneous items. If I'm shopping for a bottle of aspirin, I can buy it just as easily at Walgreen's as I can at CVS.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always had Walgreens stores closed to where I lived, so that is usually my pick. As far as I know Walgreens and CVS are drugstore that sell very similar products. I don't think they have different focuses. The prices are also usually very similar, they have similar promotions and they sell the same things. It's just a matter of preference I think.

6. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really know the difference. In Idaho they were always right across the street from each other, and same here in Texas. I hardly ever go to either one but I decide which one to be loyal to by the customer service. If one has a rude cashier or you have to wait forever before someone comes over to the photo department, I will stop going there and go to the other one. I usually just do all my shopping at Walmart though anymore, I don't need anything from them anymore because they are both overpriced.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I guess they are always right across from each other (whether they plan it this way or no) to a) keep their prices low & maybe b) to test our 'Patriotism' (CVS being Canadian, Walgreen's being American).

Might be interesting to do some price-comparison here ... I wonder if either/both do price-matching (everywhere or locally), where--if you see a CVS-price in the ads--Walgreen's will only charge you that or less. (Even if they don't, it won't hurt to ask :cool: )

8. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I get all my prescriptions at CVS in my city. I also shop their mainly for medicines and diet pills. But at Christmas time they have really good deals on cologne sets. I always think of them as having higher prices on gifts than stores like Walmart, but many times that is not the case. I don't usually do business with Walgreens unless I am in a hurry and it is more conveniently located.