Cycling or walking to work

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Gelsemium • Apr 1, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few years ago I used to ride the bike to work. It took me a while to get accustomed to traffic, but at the end it pays off in the pocket and in our health. How far from your home is your job? Is it at a walking distance from your house? What about a bike ride distance?

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    My old job was walking distance from my house and I walked there everyday. My previous job before that was miles away and I used public transport and my legs. Unfortunately I never mastered how to ride a bike and this age it seems unlikely to happen so riding is not a viable option for me.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I always walk to work. I made it a point to live close enough to where I work so that I don't need to worry about the commute. I have the option to ride, but no good place to leave my bike when at work. Driving saves me a little bit of time but, like cycling, there isn't a great place to park. If I have to park three blocks away, I might as well just walk. There have been a couple miserable days when I might have preferred to have taken the car, but I haven't yet done so.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually I walk to work too lol, but I think this is a luxury that not many have. I just drive to work when it's raining because of my small kids. Either cases, I think that it's a wise choice to pick a home near where we work, I did that too, but some people don't have that possibility.

5. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Either one would be fine.

I think either one would help you out greatly. If you are looking for the best results i would recommend walking. Simply because it is more rigorous than cycling. Walking to work will burn calories faster than cycling. Cycling is only good if you are traveling long distances.

I can not do this though. I live about 30 miles away from where i work. If i walked. I would never make it to work. Lol

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree that 30 miles is too much for walking, but maybe with the bicycle you can make it? Depending on the traffic you get sometimes it could be faster, considering it's not raining of course. Just imagine your shape if you ride the bike 60 miles per day! :)

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would prefer biking. It is faster. Unlike walking which is very slow and burns calories slowly. In biking you could speed up your speed. Well, you can also do the same thing with walking, but it only takes a limited speed to call it walking. You can walk as fast as you can, but the fastest walk is still slower than a slow run. If you bike to your work, you save up a lot of time, which you can use to do short intense work out that burns a lot of calories.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true 003, I'd prefer to ride my bike too, but this implies that you have a safe parking space for it both at home and at work. Here at my work we have sadly many cases of stolen bikes, it's impressive what people do these days, not even the bike is safe even when properly parked.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Well I work from home so I would look rather silly cycling down my hallway to my office. :p

On a serious note, I prefer to walk as much as I can, not only is it cheaper than paying $4.00 for a bus, but it is also good for me. I don't cycle because I live in London and there are so many cyclist death here it is scary.

10. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    If I could walk to work, I totally would - even if it took 25-30 minutes. It takes me 20-25 minutes to drive now, so I figure the exercise would be worth it. I'm not sure about cycling or running. I would want to have access to a gym shower, which I don't.

11. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Cycling is not my thing to do when going to work. I think it will be much better if you simply decided to walk rather than cycling. For some people they might be really sweating after cycling imagine that at a work place people will wonder what is wrong with you. But you can cycle during the weekend when you want to do some exercises.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's something negative I can give you that mike, some people do get sweaty and that's inadequate for work, but if there are no big hills and you can ride smoothly with no major effort it's way better than walking in the sense that we can cover larger distances in less time.

13. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the season and the distance I have to travel. If it's winter, I either walk or take the bus - no cycling since it's dangerous. Most times I walk if it's not too cold, when winter is gone I already saved a good amount of money. In the warm seasons things work differently. For long distances, and most times my office is far away since I live on the outskirts, I cycle. It's healthy for both the body and the wallet. There's sweat involved sure, but it's nothing a new t-shirt that I carry in my backpack or deodorant can't fix :eek:

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not ride a bike in traffic, so many people do not give you room to avoid hitting you. Walking is something I would do, I like walking as my main source of exercise. I walk to church which is about 3 miles one way, not to sure about riding a bike.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's something that comes with practice Pat. My wife is also scared of riding the bike in the middle of traffic, but I know it's perfectly safe, I've done it for years. Sometimes we just let our fear take over and we don't do things that are actually good for us.

16. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    My work place is kind of a walking distance give or take a few more meters. I always walk to work, I would love to use a bicycle but traffic is kind of heavy and there are no bicycle racks in our office building. Walking is great, on my last job I always drive to work but ever since I moved and began my walking habit I lost a lot of weight. It's helpful specially if you don't have enough time to workout every morning.

17. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Should I decide to work in a location outside my home, I will see to it that I will reside within walking distance from where I live. I can tolerate 2-3 kilometers walk if the location is in the suburb or rural area. The situation may be different in the urban towns or downtown where pollution is very heavy. Deciding to walk will also depend on the time of work. If the job would require me to clock in at night or anytime before the sun rises, I will not choose to walk to the office.

Biking is a good option. In fact I would make this as my first option if the work area is within 5-7 kilometer distance. Our problem is that not all countries and cities have biking lanes. It could be dangerous if the culture does not welcome bikes along the national roads.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, that's true. In my city it was made a huge investment in biking lanes, but I don't know up to what point that was necessary. Sure, it's great for the kids, but grown ups can be on the roads, it's perfectly safe considering we know what we are doing.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ever since I was almost run over while riding a bike in my neighborhood when I used to live in town, I've never considered riding a bike anywhere.

My workplace isn't that far so walking, for me, is more convenient. But if it was a little further, my bad experience with bikes, would not allow me to ride a bike to work anyway.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ouch, sorry to hear about that Denis, but maybe a bad experience should not make you quit the bike forever. Riding the bike is a great experience and you should try it again, in the country for example to gain confidence? :)