Daily Meal Service

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by chiofthenorns • Sep 4, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My friend told me about a fitness/gourmet service where in a company cooks low-calorie food for you every week to help you lose weight. Every morning, your food will be delivered to you. For instance, if you signed up for a week's worth of food, you will get your breakfast, lunch, and dinner every 9:00 A.M. Many people swear that this is a good way to keep tabs on your calorie count. However, I think that it is too expensive especially since I can cook my own food.

Do you have this kind of food service in your country? Have you tried it? Is it effective? Thanks a lot! :D

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    We do have this service in our country, however I disapprove of it for a number of reasons. Firstly, the cost. Okay, so it means that you don't have to worry about cooking, but it can often be four times the amount of money that it would have cost you if you'd just bought the ingredients and made the meal on your own. Of course, it's always up to you what you spend your money on.

Secondly, if you're overweight, it's usually because you don't understand nutrition enough to make sure that you're always getting the amount that you need. If this is the case, you need to learn about what you're eating, and how much you need on a daily basis. If you don't do this, you will simply regain the weight as soon as you start to eat normally again. If you are having your meals delivered to you it's very handy and easy, but it won't teach you anything about how to prepare a nice, healthy meal for yourself, meaning that you may not be able to maintain your weight when you reach your target, which is a shame.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I guess the only advantage to delivered meal service is that you are buying time. I would want to try it if we had that service available. If you have not tried fasting yet to lose weight, maybe you should ive it a try. I've done it and maintaining my weight through low calorie diet. Do ask your doctor if you wish to try fasting.

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    This is kind of crazy but it can be useful for people who forget to count their calories. I personally would not use this service. It would just be a waste of money for me.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think for some people who really can't cook or don't have the time, this could be a good option but those types of meals can be expensive. For many people it could be more useful and less expensive if they find some simple low cal/fat recipes to whip up. They could also make some ahead of time to put in the fridge for later to make things easier.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is not a solution though as you need to get into good habits yourself and know what you can eat. It might be good for a week or two, but interferes with your social life and also eating with people at home if you have any.
    Often they do trial offers, then offer packages for people to keep them on the plan. It's not for me, as I like to be eat when I feel like it and if I have a cheat day, so be it! Life is too short to worry about about calories sometimes.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I definitely think they're way overpriced.

That being said, it can be a good way to kickstart a program for some people. Some people may not even know WHAT they should be eating, much less how to prepare it. By having meals delivered, though, they can experience a variety of healthy foods and then transfer those flavor profiles over to cooking the meals themselves later on.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I'd have to say I agree with you: it's thoughtful AND a great service, but I think that the cost in the long run, will far exceed the benefits that you are going to accrue.
    I can't really say that I've heard of my country having such a service around, but I wouldn't mind if they did, for the sake of those who can afford it, but in my country, I believe that quota of people would be few and very far in between.
    I think also that doing some effective research online, on healthy cooking and eating options, even raw-food diets, can prove to be just as beneficial if applied. Long-term change is usually achieved when one takes on the elements of the change "head on", even if the help of others is sought and gained, as a buffering tool.
    The external help is awesome, especially for persons who are in desperate need of a diet change, whether for physical conditions, or based on a medical recommendation, but even in "personal assistance" programs, the eventual and more permanent change is achieved when the person in need of help comes to a self-actualization, and decides for themselves that they are going to implement the steps they've learnt, so that they can continue this program on their own.
    It is for this reason that I must say that I applaud the intention of the program, and I think that if one could afford to "test it out" for a brief period, and then apply the diet changes by looking to match the meal plans with the groceries one can find in one's local supermarkets, then I think that that person should definitely "go for it".
    If you're like me however, and don't have "that extra change to spare", then please remember that the internet is such a vast and relevant research tool, that will help guide you in healthy meal plans that will allow you avoid the exorbitant cost, at the long-term benefit of your health, and bottom line is that when you've accomplished this for yourself, you'll have a whole new sense of self-belief, and then realize that you can accomplish far more than your mind had formerly allowed you to conceive!

9. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that concept is very new to me. I've never heard of quite a service, but it would nice to have especially if you are trying to eat healthy. However, I say why invest all that money into a service when you can simply serve yourself healthy food and save some money in the process. The easiest way to lose weight is to simply cut back on your portions and walk around everyday. No gym or special diet needed, calories are calories, just don't eat too much.

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a service for those people that have little time to cook, money to spare and want to loose weight/live a healthier life. For those of us that want to save a little money here and there, cooking at home ourselves, is the best solution. If someone is interested in calorie intake there are plenty of free online calculators and other resources that teach what and when to eat.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am hearing about this kind of service for the first time. I do not think this kind of service is started up anywhere in my country and hence I never got a chance to try it out.
    I am excitedly waiting to try it out when it arrives in my country, which I hope will arrive soon. I agree that it is quite expensive but I think many other people can get ideas from these particular diet these people would follow. Hence they can end up cooking the same meal at their home for very less cost.

12. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    This kind of service is here where I live and it does do good business. The reasons why this service is necessary is that many people do not trust themselves to prepare the foods they should be eating when they get home. Others just want to ensure that they are eating properly and still others are not cooks.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly no. But this would be really great if my country had it provided that what they serve is really delicious and more than that, nutritious. Taste shouldn't really matter and that attention and demand should be given to the health and nutrient content of the foods. So it shouldn't be something just to have something to be filled into the stomach.