Dance as a workout?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by prettycolors • Sep 25, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I've been exercising regularly at home starting from January. Last week I decided to learn how to dance properly and found a youtube channel that I like to get inspiration from, takeSomeCrime (I'll link it below with a video). Watching some videos I realized that the guy is crazy fit, no mass, just pure muscles. So I was thinking to stop my exercise routines and focus on dance only for a while.

What do you think, is dancing enough to keep one fit?

[video=youtube;iHaBz40KCe0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHaBz40KCe0&list=UU9LsVV4g_5e_ImaW3W8ay-g[/video]

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think dancing alone would be enough to maintain muscles like that, but at the end of the day the most importing part of being healthy is just math. It really is calories in/calories out. If you're looking for definition, strength and endurance there is a more to it, but as far as simple weight maintenance and being healthy it's just simple math.

I wouldn't believe that that guy's only exercise is dance though, that's very misleading. Lots of people use dancing for weight loss, with activities like Zumba really exploding across the globe. Obviously there's something to it.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I don't think dancing is efficient enough to use alone otherwise I wouldn't have toothpicks for arms because dancing (and walking the dogs) is the only exercise I'll do. I think if you're not worried about gaining muscle and just want to feel good and healthy then dancing will be sufficient.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dancing is a great way to keep fit and toned. Whether it's enough as a workout, depends on what kind of dance you practice. There are very demanding styles of dance that will have you sweating and panting in no time. For example, Capoeira is a type of martial arts from Brasil that incorporates dance, acrobatics and music. There are so many different styles of dance that are fun and, at the same time, provide you with a satisfying workout.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! That sure was inspiring. Although, I think if I tried it, I might hurt myself. Sometimes exercise gets boring for me so a dance workout routine helps change it up a bit. I probably do one once a month. There is an instructor named, Denise Austin who has dance workouts I really like. Sometimes I just turn on music videos I like and dance around the room (when no one is watching of course). I remember taking ballet when I was a teenager and it was always a really good workout. Sometimes Pilates imitates ballet moves and helps one with balance and control as well as stretching.

6. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    That's great that you have found a fun and effective way to shed some pounds. I too love to dance. However, I tend to just go out dancing or put some music on from home and dance it up. Dancing really burns calories all over due to using various movings targeting an array of body areas. I encourage you to be consistent and stick with it. You may end up burning out on this particular video, so don't be afraid to kick it up a notch and try something a bit more challenging.

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Dancing isn't sufficient if you want to build muscles but it is sufficient if you want to lose weight, dances like what the guy in the video does is great if you want to lose weight, I dare the skeptics to try dancing for an entire hour and prove to yourself that dancing as an exercise is very much possible and workable, I dance for workout, and it works for me, for example, Zumba class!!!

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think certain dance workouts could probably be as good as jogging, but not all of them. Some are probably only good for maintaining weight instead of achieving weight loss, but one thing is for sure, it's definitely better than not moving at all. Also, it's a good enough exercise since it's at least entertaining as well. Other exercises tend to become a bit too repetitive and boring, and with dance exercises you could at least change it up as you please.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Dance is a great form to release energy. Also, it does not get boring at any point of time. I love to dance and prefer to try all kinds of dance forms that are available. Unfortunately, I do not know any specific dance forms thoroughly. I love to try out everything that comes my way. Also, I have noticed that I remain very lean and fit when I dance for some days on a regular basis. Many countries also have introduced dance as a form of exercise.

10. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    In my late teens, I was a semi-professional dancer. I had an almost concave stomach and wore UK size 6 clothes. I danced at least five times a week. Now, I don't do any exercise and I am a UK size 14. This should tell you everything you need to know!

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's quite a change indeed... I had no idea dancing could have such an impact on your body, seems like quite a workout!
    What kind of dancing did you do? Of course that weight gain is probably also affected by changes in your diet.

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I think the guy in the video probably also does some weights. Dancing is excellent exercise though, if you are not looking for specific strength training. I do ballet, and it's a whole body workout and improves your balance and flexibility. Most styles of dance are going to burn a lot of calories if you take a fast paced class. I think it is better to take dance classes than to do videos though because form is very important. If you can't see yourself and no one is there to correct you, you could be doing it with incorrect form, which may be hard on the joints long term.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you want to just lose some weight and keep it off and you don't intend to tone your body, then exercising by dancing is ideal. (although I prefer jogging) But if you want a 6 pack or you want to lose fat on specific areas of your body, then you must use the gym and hire a trainer to be able to achieve that.

14. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    You can lose a lot of weight just by dancing. You will also feel like the time has flown by just because of how focused and fun you are having. You should try to go to a zumba class and try it. I am sure you will love it and then start shedding the weight.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This kind of exercise is not boring. It's really fun and enjoyable unlike other workouts, say for running, if you are not really used to it. I run regularly but there are times really that I get bored but I have to do it. My sister who dances regularly, when I asked her if she feels the same, she said she doesn't. If this would be your way to lose weight, don't be shy to give it a try. It might work well for you.

16. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    Dance can be fun and exciting, and is a wonderful cardio exercise. It is a great workout to tones and strengthen existing muscles, but it is not effective if your goal is to build muscle mass.

That having been said, I agree that the guy in the video is fit and strong, which leads me to believe that dancing is not the only method of exercise he uses.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dancing is probably the most fun way of exercising that I've ever tried. I like swimming too, but even that can get repetitive. Dancing just feels good. You can lose weight, and you can get get tone, depending on the types of moves you use. Have you seen the legs on some dancers? Wow. So many good videos available too. I say go for it.

18. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I always believe that it doesn't matter how you get your exercise as long as you get some exercise. Dance as an exercise can be very good as long as you are moving at a moderate level and for a reasonable period of time. Most of all it is usually very fun especially when you are learning new moves.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dancing is absolutely a fantastic exercise!!! I myself think if I could pick only one form of exercise it would be dancing just because aside from being so much fun is a very complete exercise, you use up all of your body and muscles! Can you get rip and bulk from only dancing? Probably not... You would need to lift weight for that. But if you only want to be fit, flexible and healthy dance is great!!!

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a post some time back that spoke about the fitness of the dancers on Dancing with the Stars, it talked about how fit the dancers are and how much the workout usually uses more mucles than you think and the strength of the dancers. I am a dancer and I know that dancing is a very good way to stay fit and trim. Way to go.