Dandruff And Curly Hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by karebear07 • May 31, 2015.

1. karebear07

karebear07New Member

Threads:
    Do people with curly hair have more dandruff. I have very coarse curly hair and I noticed that my hair looks better when I do not wash it for 2 days, but when I skip washing it... I notice that I have oil production at my roots and get visibility large pieces of dandruff. Does anyone else have this dilemma?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have curly hair and this sometimes leads to dandruff problems for me as well. I keep my hair at shoulder length so it is more manageable. Do you use hair products to keep your curls under control? The so called dandruff could just be excess product residue. I have to use leave in conditioner and some sort of gel or mousse when I leave my hair down so that I do not have out of control frizz.

3. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Dandruff is not related to curly hair. Our body secretes sebum or oily substance through sebaceous glands located all over the body(on your scalp too). When you don't wash your hair for some time, dirt collects in your hair follicles and could either lead to infection or dandruff. Have a head bath daily with a good quality, chemical free anti-dandruff shampoo and you should be alright. Also, consume protein-rich diet.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I likewise have curly hair with fine strands and compared to my brothers and colleagues who have straight short hair, I hardly have problems with dandruff. When you're exposed to heat and pollution or do no rinse your hair thoroughly after washing it, then there's a high probability of getting dandruff. The type of hair you have doesn't have anything to do with it. Also, the fact that you didn't wash your hair for two days added to your scalp problems.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe it's just a coincidence but my son also have curly hair and dandruff problems. But the dandruff problem appeared only when he hit puberty so I guess it has something to do with his active "oil glands" (I don't know what to call it :) ) usually associated with boys his age and really has nothing to do with his hair type.

6. CleyoPatra

CleyoPatraNew Member

Threads:
    I can too relate to this phenomenon. I notice dandruff in my Kinky Curly Coily hair when I do mini twists as a protective style usually for four weeks but when I do twists outs that I usually last week I don't have dandruff because I wash after a week. Conclusion: The sebaceous glands produce oil on our scalp, therefore, during the weeks that our hair is not being washed the sebaceous glands continuously produce oil that build up over the weeks and then we have dandruff.