DealExtreme - Largest Chinese online site!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by addicted_buyer • Mar 28, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I don't know if you've ever heard of DealExtreme, but they're the largest online Chinese site that ships worldwide. Chinese sites offer free shipping although you should always pay for a tracking number for insurance.

I've so far made about 8 purchases from DealExtreme. They have great variety so you can find almost anything in there. Their prices are not the best, nor are their shipping times though. Still, it's safe! I've bought Micro SD cards from them, a mini air conditioner, a necklace for a friend, a tripod and a chamois for my dad, and some other things that have gotten here safely.

If you want to have a look, head over to Dx.com (I'm by no means affiliated to them!!!). :)

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I too can vouch for this site. I have been using it for years. You can buy anything from them. I usually buy all my usb sticks, and memory cards from them, but I have bought a tonne of gadgets, and gifts which you cannot get here. Strangely, they have a huge selection of jewelry which are around 1-2 dollars a piece and are fairly nice looking to give as gifts. The shipping time takes a very long time, sometimes up to a month, but its very cheap.

3. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I am also able to vouch for this website as I have used them myself several times, for buying various goods. I have bought necklaces and a fair few computer-related items both for myself and to sell on at car boot sales and market stalls, which has made me a fair amount of money too. 100% legitimate site, only downside about it is that shipping can take ridiculously long amounts of time sometimes.

4. encryptedbytes

encryptedbytesMember

Threads:
    I've ordered from DealExtreme on several occasions and can confirm that they are a reliable outfit. The free shipping is great, but yeah... it can take a while for something to arrive from overseas, so keep this in mind when ordering. Pricing isn't always the best, but I've found it to be pretty reasonable and from time to time they have some really good deals. You might also look at

and keep an eye on their Daily Deals, Clearance, Dollar Store, and Bargain Center sections - you can find some really awesome deals on gadgets, doodads, and other assorted stuff you didn't know you needed, lol.

5. Silvy

SilvyAdministrator
    Administrator

Threads:
    Thank you for the info! Good to know... :)

Did you heard about ioffer.com? There you can save on Clothing & Accessories, Electronics, Jewelry, Collectibles and more. I've found some nice deals but I was afraid to order. I read some reviews, like "iOffer is running a complete scam" but i'm not sure yet... What do you think about it? Anyone ordered from this site? I would like to know more details...

Thanks!

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Great to know most of you already knew about it! :) (By the way, thanks for the info @encryptedbytes!!)

I have, I've already bought a pair of glasses and a perfume from there. It's like eBay (different sellers, not a store) but ever seller is Chinese, descriptions are bad, real bad, and sellers have very limited English knowledge. If you're patient enough though, you can get to deal with a good seller and get a good product for a cheap price. It's full of low-priced AAA+ quality knockoffs :p

7. Silvy

SilvyAdministrator
    Administrator

Threads:
    Thanks! I'll have to try it then :)

8. encryptedbytes

encryptedbytesMember

Threads:
    I've never heard of or used iOffer, but the site I use to check out online retailiers,

, only has 4 customer reviews listed for them. 3 of the reviews give iOffer 1 out of 5 stars and the other gives it 2 out of 5 stars. I wouldn't feel confident doing business with these guys. Here are the comments from ResellerRatings:

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Nobody who has never shopped online should go for iOffer. You should only try it if you already know how online buying works (get to know your post office, your payment methods, etc.). Just like in eBay, there are great sellers, and awful sellers, and the best way to know is checking their ratings (which aren't accurate enough though). But just so you know this: Chinese sellers rarely scam anyone. They may send wrong items or have terrible support but that's because they handle thousands of transactions a day. This brings me to an anecdote, my first purchase in iOffer, not so long ago.

So I bought a pair of fake RayBans. Prices for the originals are too damn high! so I decided to go for the fake ones. I found a store I liked and a seller with 100% feedback. So I asked a few questions and the replies were pretty straight-forward. I paid with PayPal. A few days later, I ask the seller to give me the tracking number for the item (they all include tracking numbers, and with those, you WILL get your order), he said he'd ship the items "on Monday". So I waited until Tuesday (time zone differences), contacted him again, he didn't reply. A week later I sent him another message, he said he still hadn't sent the item. I started to freak out. So a few days later, after I insisted on having my tracking number for the 999th time, he gave me one. It took me a day to know it was missing a number, so it was never going to work! I told him about that and he never replied. That was my call to place a PayPal dispute.

So as PayPal wouldn't let me escalate it to a claim yet I had to wait. 2 weeks later I receive an email from iOffer saying the seller canceled the order for the reason "Non-paying buyer". What the what?! I HAD paid him... I even had the PayPal receipt! I freaked out and found the seller's email. I sent him about 80 emails in CAPS claiming that he was a scam artist and that I wanted my money back. So then he replied... ta da! He said it'd been a mistake from one of their employees (employees?) and that I'd get my item (all that in terrible English of course). I asked him for a tracking number again, and he provided another one. This time it said my item was going to Switzerland - but I live on the other side of the world!!!!! I ended up escalating the claim for PayPal to make a decision.

Days later, I received 2 packages at home. 1 of them was one I was expecting, the other one was a weird yellow one with my address handwritten. I opened it and there were my glasses!! I couldn't believe it. It turns out the dumb seller forgot to type 1 number so the tracking number would always be wrong. According to what I got from the post office's page, it'd been shipped by the seller on 01/15 (I bought it on 01/02). I cancelled the claim and thanked the seller. The glasses are great, they have excellent quality even though they're just plastic, and they fit my head perfectly.

So what I'm trying to say is give iOffer a chance only if you learn how it works. I've had some good experiences too. In case you ever have any problems, you always have PayPal on your side too!

10. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of chinese stores too, and I have bought several products on DX. All of my orders arrived home in approximately a month. If you make a comparison between DX prices and retail prices, you will find out that DX is up to 3 times cheaper! However, dealextreme has been very delayed lately due to an incredible amount of orders around the globe. I wouldn't recommend anybody to order something from DX right now, at least until they normalize shipments.

About iOffer, I have never ordered anything from it but I have heard many times about it. Just like addicted_buyer said, you should buy though iOffer if you already know how online buying works, if it's one of your first online purchases, I would recommend you to start buying from a site like DX or focalprice.

Thank you addicted_buyer for sharing your experiences with us! They are really appreciated.

11. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    Thank you for posting about this site. I have never heard of it before, but I am going to have to check it out. I know that I have ordered from China through Ebay. A lot of my friends tried to tell me that I shouldn't, but the items were so much cheaper. They were just as good too. My kids all wanted their own PS3 controllers in different colors. There was a Chinese seller who had them for $20, and in colors that are not available in the local stores. Wal-Mart sells their controllers for around $50. They all worked great and I have no complaints. I don't mind the wait time when saving so much money.

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Great minds think alike! :p

I suggest you check the stores instead of sellers on eBay. You get even cheaper prices (no eBay fees) and also cheaper shipping prices (even if it's just a few cents). Also, in the stores you can get special deals, apply coupon codes, etc.

13. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed, the best things about buying in stores like DX are that you can get great deals, you can save money using coupons and the shipping fees are lower! For example, if you want your order to be shipped by Registered Air Mail, you have to pay $1,70 instead of $3...

14. Envy

EnvyNew Member

Threads:
    DealExtreme is my favorite online site for small purchases. It's so much better than ebay because you avoid all the fees. Their products are okay quality and worth the price.

15. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps I am one of the only who has not heard of or used DealExtreme!? I am a fairly frugal person in general so do not do a whole lot of spending, but I will check this out. It sounds like many of you use it for electronic type items... is that the product for which you find the best deals?

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Indeed, electronics and gadgets are quite cheap. But the best part about DX is the variety. You'll find almost everything you can think of these. DX and FocalPrice have the largest products databases. You just need to look around :)

17. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    I like dealextreme. I purchased several items from them within the past year or so.

My only complaint is that they are getting pretty pricey. I remember a few years ago when most items were between $0.90 and $5.00, and now those same items are more expensive. Everything else in general has gone up in price. I'm not complaining, they are still dirt cheap but I hope they don't continue increasing their prices.

On a positive side they don't charge shipping which is always a plus. I bought a controller adapter for my PC a few years ago and I initially thought it wouldn't last long since the quality looked cheap (it was cheap). To my surprise it still works perfect to this day.

18. Gonzalo

GonzaloActive Member

Threads:
    Completely agreed with addicted_buyer.
    You will find anything you need on DX, that's the best part of this site.

They are not only getting pricey, they are getting too slow as well. DX is no longer my favourite store since they are too delayed with orders.
    I won't buy anything from dealextreme until they normalize themselves.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased an item from dx.com and it arrived pretty quickly, since I bought the product last Jan. 21, 2013 and it arrived in our post office last Feb. 6. So it's a little over 2 weeks of waiting. And that's quick already in my book, because the longest time that I had to wait for my package to arrive was 2 months. I will definitely be buying from this store again.

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the big Asian companies will continue to rise and they will eventually challenge the Western giants Amazon and eBay. The Asian companies plan to break the market in the West and they are a force to be reckoned with. Rakuten is one to watch out for.