Deciding which cruise to take?

Discussion in Travel started by trishgl • Sep 27, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    In general people who've never been on a cruise think more about where the ship is going to go instead of the ship they'll be spending most of their time in. The truth is the different cruise companies as well as individual ships within one company differ in regards to the facilities and all around atmosphere. Some are made to have a serene spa like feel while others have a 24 hour party theme. Still there are cruise ships that are family themed. It even has amusement park type rides and theme characters. I think it would still be ideal to talk to a travel agent that specializes in cruise lines. Be straightforward when it comes to your likes, dislikes and the all important budget.

2. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted to take a cruise somewhere I have never visited before. Although I would only take a cruise ship that has other attractions on it. I need to be well entertained while on a cruise.

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that when deciding on a cruise you need to decide on the ship first, and then determine where you want to go. The truth is, once you are the destination, it doesn't matter which cruise line you are on. But getting from destination to destination can make all the difference in the world.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I took my first cruise, I was only concerned about the destination. I didn't care about the ship. I took a short cruise to Mexico on the Carnival Cruise Line. I had an inside cabin on a lower level. It wasn't great. I had to practically stand on the toilet to take hot shower. Also I went during the middle of the week which was geared toward senior citizens. The younger crowd cruises on the weekend (on Carnival).

I took my second cruise on Carnival, but I got an outside cabin and took a weekend trip. For long term cruises, the ship is definitely important, but it not more than the destination. At least to me.

5. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    My husband and I took a Costa Croisieres cruise (the Italian version of Carnival) in December of 2011 - right before they had all their boat problems. We really liked it; destinations were Mediterranean islands, and the boat seemed pretty standard. We also got upgraded to an outer cabin with a balcony because we waiting until the last minute to book! The only thing I'd aim for the next time would be to take a cruise with less children on board. The pool area was not relaxing because it felt like recess all day long! I think cruise ships each have something unique and cool about them that we can find excitement in whatever that might be. I really enjoyed the "chocolate lounge," and my husband had fun going "golfing" during the day!

6. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I agree with your suggestion to speak with a travel agent when booking a cruise. We went on our first cruise this year in June. I am so pleased that we made the decision to book through a travel agent. She was able to provide a lot of information about different aspects of our trip that would have never crossed my mind had she not mentioned it. For example, we took an Alaskan cruise that ported out of Vancouver. We flew into Seattle which meant we would need to travel across the Canadian border. She was able to give us the details to make this transition easy and efficient. She also provided tips for travelling aboard the ship and gave us a couple of really nice totes. I will use a travel agent for sure when booking our next major trip.